Saturday, February 04, 2006

#556 Sick Van

Saturday, 02/04/06

I spent most of today trying to get the van fixed. My favorite service place wasn't open today, so I tried a couple of other places, and then the dealership, and nobody's service section was open. I talked to a salesman at the dealership, asked what the "get service soon" light REALLY means, and he said I could drive locally for a few days with no worries, no problem, and I was starting to feel better about it, and then he said, "But if it starts to choke, or act funny at all, stop immediately and call someone to come pick you up. Even if you have to leave it on the side of the road."

Well, I don't want to be driving through the woods coming back from Woodstock at midnight, and have it "act funny". Who on earth would I call to come get me? And it's too cold to just sleep in the back until morning.

The dealer wasn't sure their service folks could get to it on Monday, so then I went to Majestic. Their service wasn't open either, but I knew they also have a Rent-A-Wreck desk. The guy at the desk assured me they could take a look at the van on Monday, I could just leave it in their lot for now, and I'd get a discount on the rental car.

So now I'm driving a swoopy little red sporty car with a long front and practically no rear, with a spoiler on the back. (I didn't notice what make it is exactly.) The guy told me not to take it over 100 mph. I think that would be easy. The speed limit through the village is 30, and I found I was doing 50 without even noticing. It tends to creep up all by itself, and it's so smooth and so light I don't notice.

To Woodstock for the Twisted Tassels performance tonight. I'm off to get cleaned up....

No comments: