Monday, January 09, 2006

#513 Still Friends, I Hope

Roman called last night. He had his parent's cell phone, and called from the highway on his way back from the city. His mother had been taken ill suddenly Friday, is now hositalized, and it's looking worrisome. His father needs constant care, so that could be a problem, too. He had spent the weekend there and plans to go back and forth as he is able to get coverage for his classes.

He kept losing the signal, and after three drops and callbacks, we decided to finish the call after he got home.

The purpose of the call was not so much to tell me about his mother as to ask how I was (which he didn't get around to until after he got home). Rather nice of him to ask, I think. Also to tell me about an Adobe rep who would be speaking at the computer club on Thursday about Photo Shop. The speakers usually have copies of their products for sale at a discount, and he thought I might be interested. And to tell me that the class I had signed up for with him in February looks like it will run (2/3 of the evening classes offered don't get enough enrollment), since there are already three people signed up.

I was actually surprised at my reaction. Of course I wanted to hug him for his mother. But I wasn't hoping he'd ask me to come over. Not that I hoped he wouldn't - it just didn't matter. I suppose I would have gone to him if he'd asked, but I'd keep my clothes on.

I do plan to go to the meeting on Thursday, and although it would be nice if he were there (since I'm not a member), I didn't ask if he would be. In fact, I offered to pick up a copy for him if he wasn't there. He said no, he didn't want one just yet.

I'm glad he told me that the class is going to go, because I do want the subject, and it's nice to know asap because there's also another class starting the same night, meeting the same nights for the same duration, that I was sort of interested in. I'd have been disappointed if Roman's class was cancelled and the college didn't inform me until too late to sign up for the other (they DO that! And they'd cancel the other, too, at the same time, when my signing up for it could have saved it.)

An aside - you'd think the college could be a little smarter. They'll offer three sections on the same subject, one M/F evenings, one T/TH evenings, and one on Saturday mornings. They'll get two people sign up for each, and then a few days before they are supposed to start, they'll cancel all three because none of the sections have the required minimum. Ummm, wouldn't it make sense to check on whether any of the enrollees would be willing to switch to a different day? Maybe all six would be willing to take it on the same day. Am I the only person who thought of this?

So, anyhow, when Roman asked how I was, and I said "Fine", I meant it.

No comments: