Sunday, January 08, 2006

#512 The Journey Begins

Having checked him out (I even found his ABA registration number), I called the lawyer early this afternoon. He has a nice strong voice. Two daughters, a teenaged son who lives with him, and five grandchildren. One of his daughters (the source of some of the grandchildren) lives just a few miles from me. Near the bridge. (Ack!)

He'll call during the week, and we'll meet sometime at the diner in Hyde Park "after work" for coffee and dessert.

I also got a nice note from a retired guy who lives in western Nebraska. Not looking for a date, just someone to correspond with, with his brand-new what-the-heck-do-I-do-with-this-thing computer. I have set up a special alternate screen name on AOL to correspond with him, and have directed him to some online communities. If he gets weird, I can just delete the screen name.

I will probably do the same with any local responders whom I can't check out so easily.

The lawyer guy was easy to check out, because he gave me a land-line phone number. But having determined that he is an ABA member (since the late 1960s) doesn't mean he still IS a member in good standing, and that he's not totally nutso. I know that. So yes, I will still be careful.

But I do tend to be too open and trusting - so Daughter, you'll get an email shortly with all the details, in case I like, turn up missing or something.

I don't know how to check out someone who doesn't give me a land-line number. That worries me. Even with this guy, even though "Esq." or "Atty" was after his name everywhere I could find it, until I found him on the ABA website I was still not convinced (his home address is not impressive). I kept remembering the guy I knew who decided he was a baron.

This guy, let's pretend his name was Carlesky, decided that his name had been corrupted when his ancestors immigrated, and that his name should be Carlov. He changed it to Carlov with the Mensa main office. Then he decided it should really be VonCarlov. Another change. Then he decided he was by inheritance a baron, so he wanted Mensa mail to be addressed to Baron VonCarlov. Further enhancements ensued. At some point, the main office said enough already, and refused to make further changes. But, he wanted to be Baron VonCarlov everywhere he could be, and he was. Likewise, I suppose someone could get away with adding "Esq." or "Atty" after their name if they want, without a problem, as long as they don't give legal advice.

You know, I'm not really sure I want to do this. It seems like so much trouble, so much potential for rejection. I feel like I have to, though. I don't want to go back into the funk I had been in, before the frog prince kissed the sleeping beauty and awakened her. That would be so easy.... Just to go back to sleep.

No comments: