Friday, July 26, 2013

3754 Extraneous thoughts

Friday, July 26, 2013

"If absolute power corrupts absolutely, does absolute powerlessness make you pure?"
--Harry Shearer--

--------------------------------------------------------

There's a bird out back I don't remember ever hearing before.  It's in a tree, and I can't see it, but it says, "TutaTWEE tutaTWEE tutaTWEE breaker breaker.  TutaTWEE tutaTWEE tutaTWEE breaker breaker breaker breaker."  It's quite pleasant.  Any idea what it might be?

-------------------------------

Ethics become a luxury as the demands of our daily lives increase.

-------------------------------

I still subscribe to the Rhinebeck Village announcements and news blog.  I don't know why, because I can't attend any of the events any more, but I can't stop, either, because it's so often unintentionally amusing.  Sometimes I wonder if the editor reads the submissions before posting them.

Like the day the headline/title of the post was "The Hudson Valley LGBTQ Center is proud to welcome Nazi Persecution of Homosexuals"  Within a few hours that was changed to a program about.

Another one was "2013 marks the anniversary of the American Civil War".  Gee.  I thought that happened every year.

The other day the title was "Rhinebeck village upgrade to the waste water treatment plant".  That's not so bad, except my immediate thought was, "And that's better than the water from the village well?"  (Yes, the villages and small towns up there have wells.)

 -------------------------------

Something to think about:
“The notion that because the Voting Rights Act had been so tremendously effective we had to stop it didn’t
make any sense to me,” Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg told the Associated Press.

Yep, some folks want to repeal it because it safeguards everyone's right to vote.  Can't have that, now, can we?  Not if we want to win elections....

--------------------------------

Yahoo "news" is worthless nonsense.  A while ago they had a long story theorizing about why dogs turn around before lying down to sleep.  The "reporter" threw out several theories, including stuff like "to make the ground softer", but completely missed the real one.  I though everyone knew this:  Dogs turn around before lying down because who wants to lie down on spiders, bugs, or grass snakes?

Pretty much the same reason why I open up the bed at the country house and sweep it out before crawling in if I haven't been there  for a while.

Sheesh.
 .

No comments: