Wednesday, July 04, 2012

3562 A HOTW Confession

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be.

-------------------------------------------------

If you stop at a traffic light, and people in the cars ahead of you, to the side of you, and behind you are all bopping their heads and singing as loudly as they can, quickly tune your radio to the local music station.  They're playing American Pie.

-------------------------------

"Back in the day", most females my age thought Paul was the handsome Beatle.  A few thought John was good-looking.  Nobody ever mentioned a crush on George or Ringo.

Well, I'm finally coming clean.

I thought Paul was cute, but not at all sexy.  John was mysterious, but I didn't find him sexy.  In fact, just the opposite.  He sorta turned me off.  Ringo, let's face it, although he's turned out to be the most level-headed and possibly nicest, was just plain funny looking.   Looks have not always been my first criteria (look at some of my picks for HOTW (Honey of the Week)), but Ringo had been something of a clown, too, and didn't come across as all that smart.

I liked George.  He was quiet and had the strongest, most masculine, face of the four.  If you watched his eyes when the group was doing an interview, he was absorbing, reacting, and separating himself from the others.  I really liked him, without "knowing" him at all.

I was never able to say that in public back then without getting strange looks, snorts, and an argument.

I'm saying it now.


[http://youtu.be/8eEQ4J6Lnrs]


[http://youtu.be/a48gIt84AZc]

---------------------------------

I wasn't a big Beatles fan anyway.  They had some good stuff (mostly in the "Rubber Soul" era), but it wasn't like I would seek them out.  When I wasn't listening to folk singers, I was a Stoner.  "Paint It Black", "Goin' Home", "Satisfaction", "Angie".....  Yeah.  Of course, the Rolling Stones weren't much to look at.  None of them.

The music of the late '50s to the late'70s was pretty incredible.  People wrote real songs then.  People sang (well, except for Dylan, but we forgave him).  People played real instruments with real skill.

Video killed popular music.  Now it's all flash and appearance.  You have to have "the look".  Innovation and talent are secondary.

Pooh.
.

4 comments:

the queen said...

I liked George too. Mainly because everyone else liked John or Paul.

James P. said...

When George died, someone here had an interview with his sister. She told about how their parents sat at the dining room table writing to personally answer stacks of fan mail from squealing girls! Of course, that raged out of control after a while....but I was touched by their diligence....Ginny

Becs said...

Nowadays whenever a George Harrison comes on Pandora, I always say, "Poor George." You're right, he was the most masculine-looking of all of them.

I'm beginning to think John was out of his mind. And am willing to admit Paul was/is an attention whore. And Ringo is endearing because the most he ever dreamed of having in the early days were a couple of hair salons.

I feel sorry for John's son Julian. He's a very talented guy and he's never gotten the credit for being good on his own, no matter who his father was.

James P. said...

I bought Julian's stuff! But, you're right.