Sunday, July 01, 2012

3560 Necrophelia?**

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Communication is the key to getting along.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
 (**Title misspelled just enough to push the post further down in search results, but still convey the idea.)

Memory foam mattresses are popular.  We are supposed to believe that you sleep well on them because there are no pressure points.  I don't know why people believe that.  I guess because ads tell you to believe that.

I bought one last year because it was a Woot-off of a "name" brand, at a very good price, and I thought that because it is flexible, it would be easier to get the mattress into and out of an enclosed Chinese bed.

I hate it.  It's very hard on my back, because I need those pressure points to keep me changing position while I sleep, so without them I don't move enough, and when I wake up my spine is frozen in whatever position I slept in all night.  Which means that if I fell asleep with my face in a book, which often happens, I could be in real trouble in the morning.

You know, the first time I saw the commercial for the things, saw the hand sinking in, I knew that there was one particular use of a mattress for which these mattresses would be extremely badly suited.

For "playing", you need firmness and a certain degree of REBOUND.  The folks at the store when I bought the mattress for the sleigh bed were laughing at me, because I was bouncing on all the mattresses.  

Memory foam has zero rebound.  It's dead.  You have to work twice as hard.  Worse, the more weight in a spot, the deeper you sink.  So when you have double the weight in a spot, the sinkage on the bottom is extreme, and it becomes difficult to move at all.  Certainly any quick side-to-side movement is impossible.  Also, body heat softens the foam, so the more interesting things get, the deeper you sink.

What amazes me is that although they've been around for years, we are only now hearing those complaints, and only verbally, on TV talk shows, or in conversation, or at group dinners.  You read reviews online or in ratings magazines, and no one ever mentions that little problem.

Why?  Have people forgotten how springs feel?

("Sleep like the dead", eh?  Who wants to make love like the dead?)

.

2 comments:

Becs said...

I'm glad to hear someone tell the other side of the story about the foam mattresses. I desperately wanted one when they first came out, but had other ideas about what to do with the thousands of dollars they cost at the time.

I did buy a foam mattress topper and liked that a lot, but when the weather got cold, took it off the bed. I preferred the heated mattress pad. In the meantime, Taylor has claimed the topper and it is in no fit state to be put back on the bed.

I don't need much in the way of bounce anymore.

little red said...

I've heard people claim it's difficult to have any bounce on a memory foam mattress. Also, a rather heavy set woman I know told me the store salesman said to het that they're not for people "of her stature", as she sank and sank and sank when sitting on the edge of one in the store. How does one get dressed in their bedroom if the edge of the bed is not supportive to sit on?