Monday, June 11, 2012

3547 Grave robbers and fashion vultures

Monday, June 11, 2012

Have you ever heard a friend repeat something you said, but mess it up completely? 
Now imagine a billion people doing that. 
-- Jesus Christ --

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Grave robbers:

An archeologist cleans a skeleton during excavations in the Black Sea town of Sozopol, Bulgaria on June 1, 2012. Archaeologists have unearthed two skeletons from the Middle Ages pierced through the chest with iron rods to keep them from turning into vampires, the head of the history museum said. According to pagan beliefs, people who were considered bad during their lifetimes might turn into vampires after death unless stabbed in the chest with an iron or wooden rod before being buried. (STR/AFP/GettyImages)#  From The Big Picture,  http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2012/06/scenes_from_bulgaria.html.

I am not particularly sentimental or religious.  I mostly think sterile cemeteries are a waste of material.  If the state would permit it, when I've finished with this body, I would like to be dropped off in the woods somewhere to feed the beasties and trees.  Seems like that's the way it should be.

So am I weird that I am very annoyed when archaeologists dig up bodies?  It really bugs me to see people down in a hole dusting off bones.  Those bodies were put there for a reason, there were people with beliefs involved, and I don't care how "respectful" you think you're being, I say Hands Off!

It really does bother me.  I don't know why.

---------------------------------

Fashion:

Fashion, whether clothing, furnishing, design, anything, makes no sense.   The sole purpose of fashion is to make you feel inadequate and force you to buy new stuff.  It has been so ever since Ogg discovered there's a market for bearskins.

When something new becomes fashionable, I wonder how many people ask themselves, "Is this new thing better than the old thing?  Or just ... different."

Let's rebel.
.

2 comments:

Becs said...

1. I hope they put the stakes back where they got them.

2. There are places that will let you do just that - let your body go back to the earth. I knew someone who was looking into a place in upstate NY. And if all else fails, there's always the Body Farm.

3. I want cremation. That's just me. It would be nice if I had a view or part of the James River in Richmond or the River Knock in Ireland.

little red said...

Grave robbers, mmm. I personally think burying dead people is a waste of land. I also don't think it's wrong for archaeologists to dig up dead bodies. I don't think the beliefs of dead people matter any more, especially if the people who buried them are also long gone. Beliefs are merely opinions and rarely facts, and opinions hardly matter any more once a person is dead, esp. for a long time. I've also recently read that the less educated a person is, the stronger their beliefs tend to be. Superstitious malarkey, this whole sanctity of dead bodies thing, if you ask me. Once a person is dead, they no longer have rights, and their remains need to be disposed of in the most efficient and sanitary manner. This is merely all my own personal opinion, obviously.

I wish people would get their minds out of the stone ages, and realize that burying people is really pointless. Why not let bodies go back to the earth, or cremate them, every time? What resources we take from the earth while we are alive should be returned, in part, when we are dead.