Monday, March 14, 2011

3190 Selling

Monday, March 14, 2011

There are a lot of people who like to be told what to think.
They are more dangerous than the people who tell them.

-------------------------------------------------

BNG ran into a high-pressure saleswoman over the weekend (http://badassnaturegirl.blogspot.com/2011/03/first-weekend.html). Her experience made me cringe. (Turned off BNG, too.)

I can't sell. Nope, no way. Can't do it. Well, I could sell stuff on Etsy, or eBay, or my own website, or at a table at a fair, that kind of thing, because then people look at the stuff, make their own decision without input from me, come to me and say, "I want this." But I could never grab someone by the arm and say, "You want this! You need this!"

Many times people have tried to recruit me for one of those party-type things, like Tupperware, Avon (back when it was party), various jewelry and cleaning stuff and so on, and I just can't do it - because I feel like people get roped into going to the parties because they're friends with the hostess, and then they buy stuff they don't really want because they feel like they are expected to and have to support their friend, and then they regret it.

I just don't want to feel like I coerced people into buying things - coerced or shamed or fooled them into giving me their money.

I couldn't sell a space heater to an Eskimo without worrying that I'd taken his money for something he didn't really need, fooled him into thinking that he needed it when he'd done just fine for so long without it.

I just can't do it. I'd feel enormous guilt, and I don't understand how high-pressure face-to-face salespeople don't feel shame or guilt.

Yeah, they can make lots of money, but they lose friends. They have to keep expanding their territories, and recruiting people to sell for them, because after a while nobody wants to be around them, afraid of what they'll get pressured into next.

Sometimes I think you have to have a hard heart to be successful at sales. That, or have a terrific product that sells itself. If it's terrific, you don't have to be aggressive to sell it.

Which leads to the corollary - if you have to work so hard to sell it, and take so much pride in selling it, I am suspicious and figure I don't need it.
.

2 comments:

Badass Nature Girl said...

Love this! I am proud of myself for telling her no....even though it had to be repeated many times.

little red said...

Selling - yuck! Like you said, a table at a craft fair. With my clothes, I don't have to convince people to buy, I just have to convince them to try the clothes on. The clothes sell themselves.

I have friends who are pharmaceutical reps. They go to Dr. offices and convince the Dr's to prescribe the drugs they represent over the drugs of their competitors. It's a shark industry. You HAVE to be young and attractive to get a job doing that. And people wonder why medications are so overprescribed today... Just saying.