Wednesday, March 16, 2011

3192 Meeting people

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

If you chase two rabbits, you will not catch either one.
-- Russian Proverb --

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't gotten involved with any Meetup groups here, because I've got too many things to do that aren't getting done to go adding more stuff to do. But I have been saving groups that I can check into when things loosen up.

There are a few problems. I put in a distance of 25 miles - but that is "as the bird flys", and so I'm getting alerts for a gazillion groups in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Even though I can see Brooklyn across the bay from my back windows, it's not exactly easy to get there! There's, um, a bay between us!

Second, it seems like four of every five groups more local to me are businesses, not just people who want to share time and events. By businesses, I mean self-help groups where you're supposed to buy the book, or "event coordinators" who get paid to pull people into clubs and shows, or people who are just getting people to pay for some kind of lessons or services. Of the one in five left, they're almost entirely booze/band/bar oriented, mainly it seems because 30 to 80 people or more regularly show up. There don't seem to be any small dinner or movie groups. Are the organizers not aware that they can limit attendance to the first eight or ten who respond?

All I want is a small dinner group. Please please please don't make me organize a group. I am not the organizer type. I've already tested and proven that.
.

2 comments:

Becs said...

Try putting in a zip code that's a bit more inland. For example, here's what I got when I looked for "hiking" in "New Brunswick"

http://www.meetup.com/central-nj-short-hikes-age-50/

http://www.meetup.com/New-Jersey-Brainiacs/events/16703848/

http://www.meetup.com/SocialCirclesToFitYourLife/

Cool!

Badass Nature Girl said...

Glad, and sorry, to see that I am not the only one having difficulties in one way or another with Meet up.