Sunday, January 02, 2011

3218 Warm spell

Sunday, January 2, 2011

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The green quote above is so very true! If we think we don't deserve, we don't accept. We push away what's offered. If we don't think we are worthy, we are suspicious of love. On the other hand, if we love ourselves, we accept that others can love us, too. There's so much in those eight simple words.

It's difficult to love someone who doesn't believe it can possibly be real.

-------------------------------

There's one FAIL! and one big WIN! in the video in the previous post. Did you spot them? The foot on the brake is the failure. That's a different word. The two men sharing the sundae is the big win. Do you get why?

-------------------------------

I shoveled the last of the snow in the driveway this morning. It's 52 F degrees out there, so the driveway should be completely clear by this evening.

I also glued up the house numbers. The builder had stuck some chintzy small small numbers low on a porch post. They were made of nothing more than black plastic tape, were no more than 2 inches high, nonreflective, and not visible from the street, especially at night. Now I've got larger reflective numbers on the garage, between the garage door and the front door. I had a glue that was supposed to work under harsh conditions on difficult materials, but it wanted a minimum of 40 degrees to set, so I was afraid I wouldn't get them mounted until spring.

Now people can find me on the first pass down the street.

--------------------------------

The woman next door had said it's very dusty here. I haven't noticed much dust in the house, but I am quite literally shocked at how dirty the snow in the front yard is. It's not from gravel on the road - they didn't salt or gravel this street. It's just a black soot-like coating. It think it's blowing in the air, because it's thicker on the windward sides of ridges in the snow.

I'm kinda used to snow being white for a while, even coming from an area where every second house has a wood stove pouring out smoke and ash.

--------------------------------

If there's one thing I'm good at, it's being Devil's Advocate. I can look at all sides of an argument, think of multiple possibilities and meanings. And I enjoy doing it. It's one reason why I enjoyed my stint as a small claims court mediator so much.

The only difficulty is that people often think that when I do offer other ways to think of or look at something, that I'm expressing my personal opinion of what's going on, even if I preface it with, "Another way to look at it....". It may or may not be my opinion.

Another way it causes problems is that when someone has "done me wrong", I can find all kinds of explanations as to why, and I always choose to believe the most positive. Sometimes it just ain't so. They just plain shat on me for no other reason than meanness, but I keep giving them the benefit of the doubt, keep assigning excuses, keep giving them second chances, and they keep on crapping on me. That's what was going on with First Woman. It took me a long time to accept that I was being used. I guess that's why it's called Devil's Advocate instead of Angel's View.

I have a good example of playing Devil's Advocate. Some people may recognize this example, but it's difficult to disguise it and get the same effect. Sorry if I'm stepping on toes.

Suppose you make and sell doggie cookies. A friend who has bought cookies from you in the past says that she would like to buy some for her child to give to the dog for Christmas, but she can't afford them right now. A few days later, you find that she has purchased a squeaky toy, that might even have cost more than the cookies, for the child to give to the dog. You are hurt, and think the woman was not truthful, and didn't really want any cookies at all. She lied to your face.

The Advocate in me says: She may have been absolutely truthful as far as she went, in that she could afford only one gift for the dog. Cookies or toy. Cookies are a normal everyday thing, and won't last as long as the toy - so the child might see giving cookies to the dog about the same as getting socks from Santa. The gift has to be more special, something new and unique. So she chose the toy, and cannot now afford the cookies TOO.

If that's the case, she didn't lie. She was absolutely truthful; she just didn't tell you the whole story. But - she was under no obligation to do so.

I don't know what the truth is, but the point is that you don't either.

Some people always pick the most positive explanation, and sometimes they get taken advantage of as a consequence. Some people always pick the most negative reading, and those people never trust anyone. The ideal I guess would be to look at all the possibilities and choose the positive until it's obvious that isn't working (First Woman, Roman!) and then accept the negative.

Well, that's not the real ideal. The real ideal would be that if you think someone piddled on your foot, you ask what's going on. But that's not always possible. Some people will think they're being accused of piddling on your foot.

Sigh.

People are so complicated.
.

4 comments:

Badass Nature Girl said...

LOL, was I the dog cookie example in that one?! I love that! I had to read that a couple of times, and let it roll around for awhile and such. But there's one flaw with your scenario, assuming that it was my situation you used. My friend never bought the cookies from me before. She said she loved how everything looked when she saw the business newsletter, and of her own volition, said "I'd love to buy some cookies, but I can't afford the $4.00 right now.." so on.

I admit that in some cases, such as this one, my hurt feelings by her are not just about the cookies. The hurt feelings didn't start there, but the cookie mistruth just compounded.

You are right in that I can't say 100% for sure that she didn't have the money to buy them, all I can go off of is what I see and the evidence I am given..which all points to she could have more than afforded the $4.00.

I guess I would close this in saying, it kind of felt like the birthday card I got from a family friend last year that went some thing like...outside: I was going to get you some thing really special for your birthday. inside: 'But instead, I just got you this card.' Why say that? Why bring up the cookies and have to create a little mistruth scene around it? Just don't say anything other than what she had: that she thought everything looked great. I would have known that she didn't want the cookies by her not placing an order.

I suppose it really doesn't matter in the end, in a lot of ways, as we only talk a few times a year now, when I make the effort to contact her. I just need to make sure that I don't have my soft shell on when dealing with her, so my feeling don't get hurt, because I DO understand that she's not doing it intentionally. btw, I'll be doing a posting soon updating on how she handled the gift I gave her for Christmas. maybe you'll be able to offer me some insight on that one, but I've already decided that I've got to handle things differently this year. Cross your fingers for me!

Jane Doe said...

Hi, I came across your blog just passing through and stopped to read when I saw the quote at the top of this post. "We accept the love we think we deserve." I read the book "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" years ago and wrote down that exact quote because I love it! That's a really good book also if you like to read. Great blog, I will definitely read it when I am on here.

the Gypsy said...

People are so complicated. People's defense mechanisms and the way they justify their actions so that they don't feel bad are what's really complicated. God forbid you make someone feel bad for something they did that they should feel bad about. In this ridiculous PC world we live in (aka The United States of Offended), making someone feel bad, even if it's justified, even if it isn't intentional, even if they made you feel bad, isn't very PC. And don't go making any kinds of statements that might make someone think about something differently than the way they already do. That might upset them, or cause them to feel uncomfortable. And God knows, making someone feel uncomfortable in their cushy little American world is unthinkable!

Badass Nature Girl said...

Silk, I hope you understand that I appreciated your comment and that I wasn't being defensive or arguing with you. Nobody else needs to understand that, but I want to make sure that you do.