Wednesday, December 22, 2010

3207 Wandering around the interwebs

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

“It is not easy for men to rise whose qualities are thwarted by poverty.”
-- Roman poet Juvenal --

---------------------------------------------------------------

The above green quote was true a few thousand years ago, and it's true today. We like to think that anyone with ambition and drive can succeed, but it's not necessarily true. You need luck, too. When you start out with responsibilities (aging or ill parents, dependent siblings --- they don't have to be "your choice or fault") you often have to take the one, two, or three concurrent jobs that pay enough to support them. And those jobs don't usually allow time for luxuries like education, training, interviews, or time to develop your own business, and don't pay enough to do anything but those jobs. Sometimes the materials to succeed are luxuries.

--------------------------------

This is funny: http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2010/12/star-wars-next-generation.html. The cakes are ho-hum, but the writeup, a synopsis of the story, is hilarious. The last line before "The End" cracked me up. (Do not skip ahead.)

--------------------------------

This is another that developed in a fascinating way, and the last line cracked me up. http://artoftrolling.memebase.com/2010/12/13/text-troll-i-am-but-a-man/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AOT+%28Art+of+Trolling%29&utm_content=Google+Reader. Again, do not skip ahead.

--------------------------------

A court in Montana couldn't find anyone to sit on a jury for a criminal trial involving possession of a few ounces of non-medical marijuana. Not only was no one impartial, they all said they wouldn't convict, period. Wall Street Journal law blog story ("On the Great Montana Marijuana Mutiny") at http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2010/12/22/on-the-great-montana-marijuana-mutiny/....

--------------------------------

I have been so cold here that I have decided to get my hair cut so that I can wear warm knit or wool hats. Pixiesh. The kind of thing where when I take the hat off I can just fluff it with my fingers. Having made the decision, now I have to work up the courage to go do it.

I've had my hair cut professionally only three times in my life, and all three left me in tears for months afterward. I'm hoping I'm over that kind of reaction now. (Or that hairdressers have gotten better.)

This is sort of what I want, including the longish front, and I think my hair can do it:
My hair is fine and thin (now - in my youth it was thick and curly), and I think maybe it'll work.

The Man won't be happy, but hey, it's not his hair. Besides, he shaves his head. And if Piper says anything at all, I'll smack him.
.

3 comments:

Becs said...

I think it's adorable.

Ask around about salons. I advise highly against the chain salons, since they're staffed by beauty school graduates.

I've been with Herschel for 15 years now. That's almost longer than my marriage.

Chriz said...

I would not cut it. You can wear wool with long hair but if you cut your hair you will be obliged to wear a hat to not be cold. I think the pixie cuts end up looking masculine on most post-menopause women. After losing my long tresses to chemo, I am desperate to get them back. Just an opinion...

the Gypsy said...

I would not cut my hair, but for a few inches at the ends to get rid of the tangled mess of split ends. I cut @ 4" a year off of my hair.

I wear hats, scarves, etc, and it's a pain in the butt. I hate hat hair, but I hate being cold even more. The only think I hate more than hat hair or being cold is short hair on me. Yes, I have a staticy mess a lot, and my hair is an unruly pain in the butt. But the alternative of cutting it all off is unthinkable.

I have had people threaten to not be my friends anymore if I ever cut my hair. It was down to my butt the other day. I just had my husband bring it up to the back of my waist so that it would behave better.

Just my opinion. That being said, you might look cute in that pixie haircut. And it WILL grow back. I promise.

The thing you should really worry about is insulating that refrigerator box you just bought. Again, only my opinion.