Monday, December 20, 2010

3206 Thermostat lies

Monday, December 20, 2010

“If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, what is the significance of a clean desk?"
-- Laurence J. Peter --

---------------------------------------------------------

I keep saying I'm freezing in this house. The insulation is crap. They didn't insulate around the heat runs that go through exterior walls, so when the heat isn't on, cold air blows out the vents. There's a steady cold draft coming out of every electrical whatchmacallit on an external wall. The walls themselves are cold. The downstairs floor (the slab) is icy.

The thermostat says it's 72 in here.

Today I remembered that I have a Brookstone clock that shows temperature, time, GMT time, and has a timer, depending on which side of the cube is up. I had it sitting on "date & time". I turned it over to temperature. It said 63.

The freakin' thermostat lies!

Some people would be comfortable at 63. I'm not. Keep in mind that I'm also comfortable at 95 degrees, as long as it's not too humid to breathe. Different people have different comfort ranges.

I'm sitting here in a sweater over a turtle neck, with a knit shawl over that, knit pants over lycra pants, socks, and plush-lined ankle boots, and I'm FREEZING! My body is actually shivering, and I've got that heavy feverish feeling. I just can't do cold, especially cold drafts.

My nose and hands are freezing. It's silly to wear a ski mask and gloves in the house. This is like when I visited Ex#2's parents' farmhouse, and got chilblains on my cheeks and shins that cracked open and bled. This is ridiculous. I'm going to have to get someone in to figure out what to do, and do it.

When I'm so cold, I'm not interested in doing any work. I have to work hard to not climb back in bed. I'm almost out of food and cat food, but I have no interest in going out into that cold to get any.
.

6 comments:

rockygrace said...

Sixty-three?! Jesus, that's freezing!

You probably need a new thermostat for the furnace. Cheap fix.

Badass Nature Girl said...

If you figure out that it is some thing other than the house itself, please let me know! We have the same issue here. I usually keep the thermo set at 74, but we've been having to turn it up to 80 and it's still freezing in here! I hope it's a quick and easy fix for you.

~~Silk said...

I pushed the thermostat up to 73, and put the thermometer on the kitchen counter while the heat was running. Eventually it said 73. So then I put the thermometer on the floor next to an exterior wall. It immediately dropped to 63. Then after the heat stopped blowing for a while, I put it back on the counter, and it got all the way up to 64. The house is simply not holding heat around the exterior walls! Both the upstairs and downstairs thermostats are in an interior hallway. I suspect it takes a while for the temperature drop to register there, then the heat goes on again, thus explaining my cringe-worth gas bill.

It's the insulation! Or lack thereof....

Becs said...

At Home Depot, they have little foam panels to insulate switches and stuff. Check with your local fire department first.

Pretend that it's a medieval castle and put tapestries on the walls?

~~Silk said...

I do have many Indian tapestries that I intend to eventually hang.

Anonymous said...

I am happy in a house that most would find too cold. I set the temp at 67 or 68 in the day then 60 at night. I wish I could send you a bucket of my flubber or whatever it is that keeps me such a hot mama. Get some good silk underwear to help keep you warm.

Z