Saturday, November 06, 2010

3154 Change of season

Saturday, November 6, 2010

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-- Plato --

-----------------------------------------

It's kind of funny. Coincidence. I ran out of green quotes and had to start over from the beginning of the collection at just about the same time I ran out of Honeys of the Week.**

Also within the past week, I finally realized that I have actually moved. Yeah, I've been saying it, but it hadn't really sunk in that THIS house in NJ is my new home. This is home.

I had been bringing things down, but I had been bringing things like for camping. Like for an extended but temporary stay. Future thinking was like "this is where I'll store some stuff while I clean out the old house." The really important things, like the financial and insurance records, online passwords, photographs, the stuff you'd grab if the house was on fire, are still at the old house, and I hadn't really considered moving it all down here.

It was like on the top of my head I was moving in, but deep inside I hadn't accepted it yet.

There's a lot of things I'll miss about the old place, like the huge yard (1.3 rolling acres dotted with trees), the hawks nesting in the back, the doe parking her fawn under my bathroom window, snacking all summer on the blackberries along the edges of the yard and the mulberries in the back, the view all the way to Woodstock, the groundhogs and the foxes in the front yard, fighting wild turkeys to get down the driveway in the winter, the scent of the wild roses and locusts blooming in the spring, the thousands of daffodils along the driveway and around the house, the coyote packs having a loud party just below the hill, watching the shirtless Hairless Hunk mowing my lawn, the 2.5 car garage, the walkout basement.

On the other hand, driving to the movie yesterday, I saw at least one of every store I'd ever heard of along route 35. The shopping opportunities here are incredible! No more being satisfied with whatever one can find at the few local stores. No more driving 20 miles round trip just to find a decent pair of shoes or a selection of books, or 60 miles to find curtains of a certain color. One can actually comparison shop here, almost by bicycle!

I could get used to this.

--------------------------------

**Actually, The Man would qualify for HOTW status, but it would annoy him greatly if he ever discovered the post, so I won't. A friend, having met him, asked me if I thought he was handsome. I answered no, he's not particularly handsome, but he's definitely striking. She nodded, agreed, seemed satisfied with that description.

I haven't come across any other men who qualify. We'll have to be satisfied for now with the thirteen listed. I guess I'm very selective.
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

Congratulations! Welcome home!

I have taken up the HOTW torch, so to speak.