Tuesday, October 26, 2010

3140 Trouble on the mountain

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Life is a slowly unfolding tragedy.

------------------------------------------------

The random green quote seems appropriate today. I was startled to find the linked news story (here) today about the effects of natural gas fracking in Towanda, Pa. (The article describes Towanda as in north west Pennsylvania. It's not. It's in north east Pa., about 25 miles north of where I went to high school.) Watch the video.

I know the area. I giggled at the statement about hotel rooms being full - yeah, there was, last time I checked, one small family motel and a few seasonal B&Bs. I had checked one time when I wanted to visit my mountain.

I know the people. It's always been rather economically depressed. The gas company's offers would be very attractive, especially in the current economic climate. The born-and-bred people there are very open and trusting. They'd tend to believe promises.

Well, perhaps three years ago I commented on how there was no cell phone service anywhere near my mountain. Last time I was up there, I noticed cell towers being build everywhere. I wondered why, because folks on the mountain (to the south of Towanda) would not be particularly anxious to get cell service. They wouldn't want their kids corrupted, and can't afford it anyway.

I guess now I know why. It's not for the people. It's for the gas companies. Nothing corporate is ever altruistic.
.

No comments: