Sunday, June 20, 2010

2997 No cougar cubs needed, thank you.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."
-- John Kenneth Galbraith --

------------------------------------------------------

For the past five or six years, two Pakistani guys (they look like brothers) have been working shifts at the gas station. I've been calling them Tall, Dark, and Handsome #1 and #2 - TD&H1 being the older, quieter, family man, and TD&H2 being the younger and friendlier. I don't know how old he is, but he has traces of gray in the temples.

Anyway, TD&H2 has fallen madly in love with Hal. When I stopped in yesterday, he asked if I'd please take him for a ride sometime. He got off at 3 pm today, and we went for our ride, through the Bard college campus (he's always flirting with the college girls who stop in at the gas station, so I thought he'd like that) and then across the river and down to a town park, where we sat at a picnic table and watched the river.

It was a beautiful day for it, warm, sunny, slight breeze, big puffy fluffy clouds in a deep blue sky.

Somewhere along the line he seemed to transfer his adoration from the car to me. I have a new admirer.

He knows I've been dating someone, and that I'm not interested in complications, so he's decided we should be friends. He wants to have a drink some evening next week after he gets off the evening shift. When I said ok I was thinking at the bar in the village. Turns out he's thinking "your place or mine". Uh, no. That's not going to happen.

It's amusing how many younger men have told me lately how much more interesting mature women are.

Sigh. Yeah, we are more interesting, more even-tempered, more reasonable, and better in bed. But somehow, I don't really believe that's what interests them. Cougars can be cynical. Mostly we do know what's going on, but what the hell. Sometimes it's worth it. Sometimes it's not. And sometimes age confers the wisdom to know which is which, when to pounce and when not.
.

No comments: