Thursday, June 10, 2010

2984 Waiting and wondering

Thursday, June 10, 2010

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."
-- Sherlock Holmes --

-------------------------------------------------

Still haven't heard anything about the new house. Contract is signed by both parties, down payment is made, and ... I'm waiting. The builder has to give me three weeks' notice before closing, so it won't be for at least three more weeks, and that's all I know. I've been selling stock a bit at a time as bits of it go up.

Also, I want to use the van to move a lot of stuff myself, and the guy who agreed to work on it something like three weeks ago has not yet come for it. I'm considering checking whether Captain Vantastic would like a go at it.

In the meantime, time passes.

--------------------------------------

I stopped in at Piper's office at about 11:30 am to ask him to cut me a check for the estimated taxes due next week. His daughter, who has begun working with him and is positioned to take over the business, was there. She likes me, and wants to see her father and me together. (She doesn't take the hint.)

They were very busy, both yelling into phones. He asked me if I was free in the afternoon for a late lunch with the two of them, and I said yes, and went back home to wait for his call.

At 1:30 the Hairless Hunk came over, and I offered him a ride in Hal. Well, actually, he had the ride last week - I offered to let him drive. I called Piper, and he said they'd be busy for another hour, and then the late lunch. So HH and I went for a ride. I don't mind others driving Hal, because I get more of the openness of the top-down experience when someone else drives.

I never got the call from Piper. I called his cell and his office at 4:30, and left messages. Don't know what happened. In the meantime, since I still need to eat every 2.5 to 3 hours anyway, I've been nibbling.

The Hairless Hunk is so excited by Hal he wants to take a day next week and go somewhere, like Maine for lobster, or Canada, or wherever I want to go - a full day trip. He'll pay for the gas and meals, and tolls, and anything else, as long as he can drive.

I'd love to, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. His wife would not go, and that seems a bit awkward (to say the least). Maybe I could invite another person, like a chaperone, preferably male, but I don't know who would be available in the middle of the week.

-------------------------------------

There are still things I haven't figured out about Hal. He is often parked unlocked outside the house, or elsewhere if I'm not planning to leave him alone long. Then I walk up to him, open the door, and get in. No big deal.

I've left him locked and unlocked with the top down in the driveway, and he didn't react when I touched his body. But once I left him unlocked outside Piper's office, and when I leaned over him to get my hat out of the back seat and brushed the edge of the door, he had a fit, screaming bloody murder until I could find the "shut up" button.

Yesterday I parked right next to the deli door while I ran in for V8, very quick, and left him off and unlocked, top up, just like in the driveway at home. When I came out and touched the door handle, he freaked and shrieked.

Why? What was different? Nothing. I don't understand.

I'm getting paranoid, like maybe he's aware that there were more people walking past him in the village and at the deli, and is more comfortable at home.

I'm afraid I may have named him well.

----------------------------------------------

I have almost no TV reception this evening, even channels that usually come in clearly (no cable - rooftop antenna). Makes me wonder what's going on weatherwise in the Albany area. Or maybe sunspots? Would that affect non-satellite reception? I didn't think so - usually thick cloud cover or wind screws up my channels ever since we went digital, but there's nothing going on here.
.

2 comments:

the queen said...

I'm very excited about the report today that predicated sunpots and solar flare activity this year. It makes the Northern Lights display even in the South.

Zayrina said...

It is awfully nice of you to let others drive Hal. I once got to drive someone's Z3 with the top down and it was the best fun ever.


I had a truck with an alarm system. Often I would leave the windows down and lock it. Upon return if I reached in to open the door the alarm would sound. No idea how it knew I reached in, seat sensors I guess.