Monday, March 29, 2010

2914 Folly?

Monday, March 29, 2010

"He who lives without folly isn't so wise as he thinks."
-- Francois de La Rochefoucauld --

Given the topic today, this quote may not be as random as they usually are.
--------------------------------------------


Things are moving fast and in strange directions lately.

In the previous post I mentioned a house being built across the street from Daughter's house. I told The Man about it when I saw him last night, adding that I had figured that if I ever moved, it would be someplace warmer. He laughed and said "New Jersey IS warmer than up here!" (We were in Kingston, NY, at the time.)

He's right. It's a little warmer, and they do get less snow.

I talked with Daughter today, and she gave me the name and phone number of the builder, and the amount he's asking. I talked with Piper and Angelo, and they both think that from a purely financial and lifestyle point of view, it's a good idea. Even if it's not a good idea, it's not a bad idea (i.e., there's almost no way to get hurt). Since I don't have a mortgage on this house, all it would cost me to have both houses for whatever time it takes to sell this one is the $6-7K annual taxes on this house. And then the sale of this house would pay back what I pulled to buy the other house.

Advantages:
  • Across the street from Daughter and Hercules.
  • Across the street from possible future grandbabies and babysitting/petsitting help for Daughter & Hercules.
  • 1/2 block from Raritan Bay, lots of interesting places to walk.
  • Built-in lawn mowing and snow shoveling (Hercules).
  • One more bedroom (4 total, and two of the four are large).
  • Short driveway.
  • I can get the flooring, cabinets, and colors I want.
  • Across the street from pet care when I travel.
  • I might even be able to get a dog.
  • Lots of great shopping.
  • Lower taxes.

Disadvantages:
  • It's New Jersey.
  • The neighborhood, although very safe, is a bit, uh, ticky-tacky. It's mostly young people starting out and old people ending up.
  • There's a house three doors down with two unregistered cars in the side yard. (On the other hand, I've got my unregistered van sitting in my driveway right now.)
  • It's New Jersey. Look up Superfund sites sometime.
  • Moving. I've got a LOT of stuff. Much of my furniture is heavy old antiques.
  • It's New Jersey.
  • The thought of actually sorting, disposing, packing, and moving is terrifying.
  • Global warming could put Raritan Bay in my living room. After all, it IS New Jersey.

Piper is going to call the builder tomorrow, and see what can be worked out. I can't make an actual firm offer until we discuss finishing materials, but I don't want him to accept another offer until I have a chance.

Wish me luck. Or not. Either way, I win.
.

3 comments:

Becs said...

Plus you have a pal in Jersey. Even though it is Jersey.

Sister said...

I am hoping for the best for you!

~~Silk said...

Yeah, I should have listed as another advantage that I already know several people in NJ - Becs (a built-in shopping and tea-drinking companion!), The Man, and several NJ Mensans.