Wednesday, March 17, 2010

2902 Car shopping on route 9

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My girlfriend always laughs during sex---no matter what she's reading.
-- Steve Jobs --

--------------------------------------

I got off my tail today and hit the car dealerships down Route 9. I tried on a bunch of cars.

I really want one of those itty bitty 2-seat sporty things, but I have to admit it won't suit my uses. The new car will be my daily car, not just a Saturday night going-out special, and the itty bitty sporty things with the tiny trunks just won't work for taking loads of dross to the recycle center. I need at least a pretend back seat. That's what was attractive about the Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder - the back seat, too tiny for people, but good for carrying things.

Unfortunately, The Man was right. The sides are so high on the new Mitsubishi models that I can barely see over them. It feels like I'm sitting in an old-fashioned claw-foot bathtub, which is great when you want bubbles up to your chin, but not when you're trying to navigate.

Oh, and its turn radius is 36 feet! Good grief! That's four lanes!

So many of the dealerships have such a sad feeling. I don't think they've been doing well.

I fell in love with the BMW 128i/135i/328i/335i convertible. It's bigger than I wanted, with a full back seat, but it still looks low and sexy. Comes with either a hard convertible top (the 3xx series) or "rag top" (the 1xx series). The soft top looks niftier, but I guess the hard top might be more practical in the snowy north. I'll have to research whether it has glitches. (Glitches? Come on! It's a BMW!)

Tomorrow I'll check out the dealerships across the river.
.

3 comments:

the queen said...

BMW makes the mini cooper. The Mini is surprisingly roomy.

Chriz said...

You will feel every pebble in the road with a BMW. I prefer Mercedes for a smoother ride.

~~Silk said...

The Mini isn't sexy. I want sexy. But given the price, the mini convertible would make a nice second "practical" car.

The Mercedes CLK350 Cabriolet (4 seater) is on my list, to be checked out.