Monday, February 15, 2010

2780 Exploding water

Monday, February 15, 2010

You can tell you've made God into your own image when He hates the same people you do.

----------------------------------

I wanted a pot of tea this morning. I put a 16-oz glass measuring cup of water in the microwave oven, started it, and went to the den, where I forgot about it.

A few minutes later I went to the kitchen, and the water was hot but no longer boiling. So I set the microwave to 2 minutes and started it again, and watched it from the sink.

The water sat there. Nothing happened. No little bubbles. And then suddenly, all at once, ONE HUGE bubble sprang into existence in the bottom of the cup, shot to the top, and blew almost all of the water out of the cup with a bang that rocked the microwave on the counter.

Never saw that before. Bit of a shock.

Told ya I had hard water....
.

2 comments:

the queen said...

Superheated water. Like too cold to snow? Too hot to boil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheated_water
and especially
http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp

~~Silk said...

Yes! The Snopes article is exactly what happened! Popsicle stick next time.