Tuesday, November 17, 2009

2663 Time.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Men must be careful to never mistake human justice
for divine justice.

----------------------------

Mac fans should read this: Mac http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/15/business/15digi.html?_r=4. The corporate culture is changing.

--------------------

Miss Thunderfoot is very weak. She's skin and bones and wobbles when she walks. She's been on the special kidney failure diet for a while, but she has stopped eating both the canned and dry food. Yesterday she moved out of the den and into the kitchen, I don't know why. I fixed a nest box for her, and Jasper has been pretty good about not terrorizing her even though she's in his territory. I've been giving her milk yesterday and today. I know milk is very bad for kidney failure, but she's so thin, and I know she has to be hungry, and she dearly loves a bowl of warm milk, so I see no point in not giving it to her. She laps it up and tries to purr.

I see no point in trying to delay the inevitable. I'd rather just try to make it easier on her.

I thought she wouldn't make it through last night. She'd been barely moving for days, and then yesterday she wandered the house like she was searching for something until she finally settled in the kitchen. She sat in front of the refrigerator and called for milk, exactly the way she used to ask Jay for milk, nine years ago. That was their special thing. I weaned her off milk treats after he died, which wasn't that hard because she never asked me for milk. I wonder if now, when the end is near, if she's thinking of Jay when she asks for milk. If maybe it was Jay she was searching for yesterday. She was HIS cat, and his last six months, when he was in the hospital bed in our bedroom, she pretty much lived under his bed.

Humans and animals in a final illness often have a burst of apparent improvement before the end. I've seen it over and over. It's like the mind/body finally accepts what's happening and decides it's ok, and stops sending "illness signals". Every once in a while someone will say "Dad got out of bed today, and started working in the garden!", or "Mom is in the kitchen cooking up a storm!", and I think, "Uh oh."

I was supposed to go to a movie last night, but I canceled. My first daughter, my mother, my husband, and all my cats and dogs have died in my arms, so I wanted to be home for her if it was her time.


.

5 comments:

Becs said...

Can I just suggest a little thing, if she makes it through the night?

If you feel up to it, ask your vet if you could give her some subcu fluids. They do make it easier on the cat. It isn't about protracting the end, it's about being a little bit comfier.

I'm so sorry it's come to this. This is the hardest thing about loving our critters.

Wondering Woman said...

My 15 year old cat was really fading fast a few months ago, wouldn't eat anything. I thought every night was the last but then I got some baby food for him, Beechnut brand, it's the only one I've found that only has meat and broth for ingredients. He eats 1/2 of one of the little jars a day and that usually stimulates him to eat some dry food. He goes back and forth between liking the beef and then the chicken. I know the end isn't too far away for him but at least he seems to feel better now. Best of luck with her..

Kate said...

Sorry Miss Thunderfoot isn't doing well, I hope she surprises you and turns it around.

rockygrace said...

Oh my God, this is so sad .... I'll be thinking of you and Miss Thunderfoot.

Anonymous said...

I wish I was there to hold her!


Sister