Tuesday, November 17, 2009

2664 Singles mingle

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Fundamentalists, whether Muslim, Christian, or Jew,
hate to love
and love to hate.

------------------------

Last Sunday I went to a play (a local theater group, "Twelve Angry Men") with a singles group. After the play, six of us went out for an early dinner. It was a very long dinner, three hours, because everything that could possibly go wrong with our orders and the tab and the serving did, culminating in the waitress losing a credit card. It just plain disappeared.

The manager "comp'ed" the meal, and promised a thorough search of the restaurant including the garbage. (And I hope it was the waitress who was assigned the latter task.) The woman whose card it was accepted that. I'd have insisted on a signed admission that they lost the card, and that the restaurant would be responsible for any costs associated with the loss of the card.

All the delays meant a lot of time for talking, and talk they did. I'd always tried to steer clear of single's groups in general because they get pretty inbred. After a while, everybody has dated everybody else. A majority of the conversation Sunday evening was who was currently dating whom, who was sleeping with whom, who dressed inappropriately, who doesn't follow the social conventions (Agh! I often don't, I think, because I'm never quite sure what they are!), who takes liberties, and so on. The men were just as into the gossip as the women.

It was enlightening. I will tread very lightly with this bunch.
.

1 comment:

the Gypsy said...

RE: Mac - I am not surprised. Ed and I were discussing last night how the government/media blitz of the 80's really made people complacent and unaware. That was when the whole psychological brainwashing through advertising and dumbing down of the masses really began in earnest, in my opinion. Maybe it happened earlier, but I was only becoming aware in the 80's and can see it's evolution now. This is just more of the same.

Apple is anticipating market share loss of the iPhone to the Motorola Droid, which Ed and I would both like to get sometime next year.