Sunday, October 11, 2009

2618 No resistance

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Paul Levine, in Night Vision, on "image":   "It may not get the job done,
but it makes it possible to get the job done."

-----------------------------

I went to the antiques fair today.  I hadn't intended to look for anything, just look at stuff, but one of the first things I saw was a walnut Eastlake-Inspired/Renaissance Revival marble-topped side table, exactly what I've been searching for for the past seven years.  I see them at auctions, and in antique shops, but they always go for more than $800 (how much more depending on the condition of the marble), which is way more than I am willing to pay.

I almost died when I saw the price tag.  $175.  A that price I figured something had to be very wrong with it, but aside from needing joints tightened, cleaning, finish refreshing, and one tiny chip in the marble near the middle of the top, it's in good condition for close to one hundred years old. 

I'm putting money away for the trip to Morocco, and trying to pay off credit cards, and with new tax rules and new medical insurance costs, my income has taken a hit, so right now I really can't afford it.  But I well know that if I didn't buy it, I'd be kicking myself for the next seven years while I continue to search for its non-existent twin.

It's in the back seat of my car.

1 comment:

Zayrina said...

I am on board with you. I found one of these http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/fuo/1381270690.html
yesterday for $50. It was sitting in the window of a sewing shop that had moved. The middle part is solid marble. These darlings originally sold for over $3k and typically go for around $800 at auctions. It has a few minor dings but it is going to look good cleaned up and in the dining room.