Thursday, September 10, 2009

2580 Ack ack!

Thursday, September 10, 2009

LaVerne on Empty Nest:
“Those who help those who won't help themselves are stupid.”

-----------------------------

I opened a new quart bottle of Hot V8 about a half hour ago, and poured six ounces into a 12-ounce glass. When I went to put the bottle into the refrigerator, I set it right next to an already-open bottle I'd forgotten was there.

So I took the old one out, peered into it. It looked good, smelled ok, so I poured the remaining three ounces or so into the glass.

Then over the next 20 minutes I sipped at it --- until I got almost to the bottom, and noticed the lump resting on the bottom. A V8-colored fuzzy lump, about two inches across and an inch thick.

If I die this afternoon, it will be from moldy V8.

-----------------------------

A few comments on Pres. Obama's health care speech last night.

He talked about how insurance companies would not be allowed to deny coverage for preexisting conditions, or to drop coverage during treatment of expensive conditions. Note that nothing was said about insurance companies not being allowed to raise premiums for preexisting or expensive conditions. If I can't afford the coverage, it may as well be denied or dropped, and private insurance companies are run for profit. Period. Their purpose is not to assist me. That's the one advantage of socialized medicine, the nonprofit aspect, but it's a big one.

Second, it was emphasized that illegal aliens would not be eligible for the insurance programs. That doesn't really say anything. Yeah, they can't apply for and get the insurance policy and id and so on, but if an illegal alien shows up at an emergency room with a life-threatening injury or serious illness (or any illness for that matter, or if it's a child, or a pregnant and delivering woman), does that mean he/she/it will be turned away? Doubtful. I'm not sure I'd want to live in a country that would turn them away. So who pays for the care? And isn't that a kind of insurance we all pay for, either through taxes or increased hospital costs? That's another advantage of socialized medicine. Nobody cares who you are, all humans are treated humanely.

-------------------------

I'll be going to dinner and bar trivia with some southern Orange county Mensans this evening.
.

No comments: