Tuesday, September 08, 2009

2576 Bored

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Aldus Huxley (alleged): "An intellectual is a person who's found one thing
that's more interesting than sex."

------------------------------

I volunteered at the tourism booth at the Woodstock/New Paltz craft fair yesterday. They had a lot more materials, a better location, and REAL county maps this time. A lot more people stopped by, so even though I'd left my book in the car, I didn't miss it.

One woman asked me how to get to the Mohonk Mountain House. I pulled out one of the maps and showed her the route. Later I realized I'd sent her to the wrong place. I always go up the hairpin turns to the climbing cliffs, and walk to the hotel from there, a few miles of sometimes rough terrain. I should have sent her around the other side of the mountain to the main gates, where she could get a shuttle to the hotel. I felt really bad about that for a long time.

It annoys me that they include "Woodstock" in the advertising for the annual craft fair. It's on the county fair grounds, a few miles outside New Paltz. It's about 30 miles from Woodstock. They can't even claim that most of the exhibitors are from Woodstock. The vast majority are from out of state. I think they use the lure of Woodstock to draw city folk. I consider it false advertising. Bait and switch. I'll bet some people arrive expecting to walk along the Woodstock village streets, looking at all the artistry....

Nothing much else going on.

A nifty link: http://www.mentalfloss.com/, where knowledge junkies get their fix.
.

No comments: