Saturday, September 05, 2009

2573 Advertising education required

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Napoleon Bonaparte: “Never interrupt your enemy
when he is making a mistake.”


--------------------------

I browse real estate listings when I'm bored. I like looking at houses. There are some beautiful houses relatively cheap in upstate NY, but California is still grossly overpriced.

One thing I will never understand is why some homeowners or realtors take pictures that seem to show nothing more than the furniture. The furniture doesn't come with the house, so why?

Like this one:

What am I supposed to glean about the house from that photograph? I can't tell if it's a breakfast nook or dining room. It gives me no sense of the size or layout of the room or house, of light sources for the room. Nothing. All it tells me is that I hope it's part of an eat-in kitchen, because I don't care for that floor in a dining room. This photo would be appropriate only if one is selling the furniture. The house listing is here. If you go there, note that the living room photo is also furniture-oriented, leaving me wondering where and how large the windows are, and where doorways are.

1 comment:

Becs said...

Ack. They don't even show a picture of the house. All I see is work, work, work. The house has to be repainted on the inside to get away from the puke-colored walls. And the yard has to be completely resodded, no easy trick in water-conscious California. Yeah, I've seen listings like this, particularly in Victorian homes where you get overwhelmed by the cute.