Friday, September 04, 2009

2572 Flames

Friday, September 4, 2009

Jerald Bevens, in a letter to "Newsweek": “We need our heroes, but soon there will be no more. Our world will not grow men with the credentials necessary to survive scrutiny.”

--------------------------

Yesterday I had lunch with Piper and a blogger from NJ, who showed me some of her in-process needlework. She has a great sense of color. She and I then went to Olana, and toured the house, where there was also a great sense of color.

I am color-deprived and color-challenged.

I went clothing shopping locally this afternoon for the first time in ages. I happened to hit a sale, and bought eight tank tops for $24 (yeah, that's $3 each). At that price, I had to get one in every color.

After leaving the store, I was stopped at a light, and noticed a wisp of smoke rising from low shrubs in the median between the entrance and exit of a large grocery store. Within seconds there were flames, and in another few seconds it had spread and was shooting flames 10 feet high.

With as much rain we've had lately, I was surprised live greenery burned so fast.

When the light turned, I pulled into a restaurant parking lot across the street to call 911, but by then I could hear the sirens down the road, and I saw three store employees running across the parking lot with fire extinguishers, so I just sat and watched.

I am always amazed at the number of drivers who don't stop or pull over for emergency vehicles. One woman waiting to exit the lot just as the fire truck arrived actually pulled out when her light changed, right in front of the fire truck, making it wait to pull in until she was through the intersection.

Idiot.

This evening I'm going to dinner in Troy, with a bunch of strangers.
.

No comments: