Sunday, August 30, 2009

2568 The green quotes

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Lewis Grizzard: We ought to keep the rich as rich as possible,
because nobody poor was ever able to afford
to give anybody else a job.


---------------------------

A commenter has asked where I get the green quotes I've been including lately (which rarely have anything to do with the subject of the post, by the way).

I've been saving them for probably 40 years or more. Any time I'd hear or see or read something that strikes me as succinct, or oh-so-true, or makes me think, makes me wonder, I'd jot it down or tear it out, and tuck it away.

Sometimes I don't agree with the sentiment at all, but I still admire the way it was phrased, or the way it made me think. Into the box it went.

When computers came along, that was one of my first tasks - to gather up many years of scraps of paper, and put them all in one neat file.

Now I'm pulling them out, one at a time. Randomly.

-------------------------

I also get feeds from "Quotes of the Day", but I don't often use any of them. Most of them are too "New Yorker"ish for me to fully appreciate them. They often have a pretentiousness, a false sophistication, that annoys me. (Like "The New Yorker" itself. I can't appreciate a magazine with cartoons that aren't funny or are just too too sneeringly precious. Don't much care for abstract art, either. Or those who pretend to "interpret" it. Pardon my blue collar. I don't like quotes with undercurrents of sneer.)

Many "Quotes of the Day" that I do like I already have. I end up collecting maybe one a month or fewer from that source.

-------------------------

The particular quote that the commenter liked is a favorite of mine not as much for its content as its source.

I spent a week in 1980-ish at a retreat with Trudy Bell (editor for Scientific American magazine(1971-78), founding senior editor for Omni magazine (1978-79), a senior editor for IEEE Spectrum magazine (1983-97)), Isadore* Adler (worked in extraterrestrial geosciences, utilizing remote imaging from satellites, played a major role in the Mariner, Viking, and Voyager missions, consultant on the VLA project), and Isaac Asimov (who doesn’t already know Isaac? BTW - science fiction is a minor part of his CV.), and about 19 other people. We worked on a "project for the feds", between fun activities.

Isaac autographed a book for me, “To the top banana with the great pear.” The book is packed away in the basement at the moment, so I can’t check whether he spelled it “pear” or “pair”, but the meaning was unmistakable. That was my Dolly Parton phase, before Mae West moved in.

I got that quote straight from the horse's mouth.

[*I've also seen it spelled "Isidore". Not sure....]
.

No comments: