Tuesday, August 18, 2009

2553 Evening plans (I wish)

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

W. Somerset Maugham: My own belief is that
there is hardly anyone whose sexual life, if it were broadcast,
would not fill the world at large with surprise and horror.

---------------------------

I'm going to dinner and a play in Albany this evening. The above quote does not apply to the evening.

I don't I agree with Mr. Maugham's belief, by the way. It probably does apply to me, I've got quite a surprising and horrifying history from the viewpoint of the average person, but I suspect that's true of relatively few people, actually. Most people putter through their sexual life in a very quiet and conventional way.

I guess whether you'd find something surprising and horrifying depends on your own experiences. If your total life experience consists of one or two partners, tops, one or two times a month, and always missionary, then even the average person's sex life might be shocking to you.

How one interprets anything one looks at comes down to one's own experiences, expectations, and definitions.

Poor Mr. Maugham.
.

No comments: