Sunday, August 16, 2009

2551 Medicare premium panic abates

Sunday, August 16, 2009

He was born on third base and decided he had hit a triple.

---------------------------

The link in Wondering Woman's comment on my post about the letter I got from the SSA said that they used 2007's income in figuring the premium, not 2008, as I thought. The letter was in the car, so I checked it, and yeah, it's 2007.

That feels a lot better. I know what happened now, and I might be able to convince the SSA that it was unusual.

2007 was the third and final year in the plan to move my savings from individual stocks to tax-free bonds and mutual funds. I sold a lot of old stocks, much of which had split five to eight times since I'd started buying them in the sixties, which resulted in huge capital gains. That's not likely to ever happen again, now that everything is settled down, as the 2008 returns should show.

So thank you, Wondering Woman. There's a short window for appealing, and left to my own misreading, I'd have missed it.
.

No comments: