Saturday, August 01, 2009

2530 Music

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Scott Adams: “The most ineffective workers are systematically moved to the place where they can do the least damage: management.”

---------------------------

I don't like hearing music on others' blogs or websites, because their choices are never my choices, and I find it annoying. Of course, MY choices are perfect. Everyone will just love it. Or lump it.

Over there on the left. Pink block. Playlist. Hear the music? Too loud, probably. Haven't figured out how to make it softer. DIY.

The website to build the list has links to MP3s for thousands of selections entered by users. Unfortunately, not everything is there (and some are just ringtones - watch the "minutes" notation when selecting). Click on "pop-out" to see my complete list.

Almost everything on the list has some meaning to me:
  • The Kingston Trio was high school boyfriend Obie's favorites, although the specific favorites don't seem to be available.
  • Buffy Sainte-Marie was my first album. "My Country 'Tis of Thy People You're Dying" was my favorite, but the link is broken. BTW, "God Is Alive, Magic Is Afoot" is supposed to sound like that. There's nothing wrong.
  • John Wolford broke my heart in eighth grade. My last dance with him was to "To Know Him Is To Love Him". When I hear it, I still remember the scent of his woolen sports coat.
  • It was BNL that provided the connection to The Man.
  • "Norwegian Wood" is connected to Warren Roscoe, my still wondered-about lost cause.
  • Tracy Chapman speaks to my heart, my childhood fears and desires.
  • M&P's "Dancing Bear" is just plain beautiful.
  • Johnny Mathis got me through many college study nights.
  • Judy Collins and Joan Baez, well, everything.

... and so on for the bulk of the list.

I suspect only someone my age will fully appreciate the collection.
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

Ooo, I just got "Georgia" by Ray Charles. Who could mind that?

Joan Baez I can live without, but Johnny Mathis is choice.