Wednesday, April 29, 2009

2379 Hair. Bleck.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A few weeks ago I bought another inexpensive short wig for the manikin Peggy Sue. This one's described as "sun-kissed blond". It's a sort of buttery beige, almost the same color as a suede jacket in my closet. Naturally, I tried it on.

I like the color on me. Right now my natural color is too yellow to call white, and too light to call blond, and without enough pewter to call platinum. The richer color of the wig seemed to make my skin color perk up. I briefly considered dying my hair, but the upkeep would be demanding - roots and all that.

Last week I found the exact color in one of those 6-12 shampoo temporary colorings. That's ideal. By the time the roots become obvious, the color would have faded enough to blend.

I tried it.

The instructions said to leave it on for 20 to 40 minutes, depending on the strand test. I was a bit worried because I bleach the dark patch on the top front, so the color might get intense there quickly. Luckily I had just trimmed my bangs, and still had the clippings. The strand test said 20 minutes was fine. So that's what I did.

When my hair was still wet, it was perfect, but then when it dried it was still too light, all over, so I decided that next time I'd try 30 minutes.

Ha. Three days later, just before leaving for Florida, I washed my hair. Shampoo number one. The color all disappeared. Then the sun in Florida made it even lighter.

Sigh.

I don't understand.

I'm going to try 40 minutes this evening. Maybe it'll last through TWO shampoos. Wish me luck.

---------------------

Back in the sixties we could buy temporary color powder that came in capsules. You opened and used one, two, or three capsules mixed in a glass of hot water as a final rinse, and it did a good job. It lasted only one shampoo, and rubbed off on your pillow, but cost only 5 cents or so per capsule, so that was ok. I wonder what happened to them.
.

No comments: