Tuesday, January 20, 2009

2226 Speeches and Bands, and more free speech

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Yeah, I watched the Inauguration and the parade. I'm not going to wax philosophical. I just love me some marching bands.

There were a few things that struck me about the proceedings, though.

I was happy to see Barbara Bush looking so good. Even though she's ultimately responsible for unleashing so much havoc on the world, I've always liked her. She never simpered, never carefully chose her words. She's a strong lady.

The oath was strange. I'm sure Obama had memorized it, but the judge tripped him up. The Constitution, in Article II, Section I, says that “Before [the incoming President] enters on the execution of his office, he shall take the following oath or affirmation:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.
I wonder how long it will take his detractors to point out that he has not yet taken the oath as written?

Ted Kennedy's luncheon seizure freaked everyone out. It really wasn't a big deal, folks. When you have a brain tumor, tiredness, stress, or even flashing lights can bring on a seizure. As long as it doesn't go into a series, it's not a big deal. It's just part of the package. They'll give him an extra jolt of his seizure medication, and that's that. I was a bit surprised when the hospital said he was awake and responding, though. That didn't feel true. After a seizure he should sleep, needs to sleep, shouldn't even be able to stay awake. After discharging like that, the brain needs to recharge.

I thought Obama's speech was great. It wasn't designed to get cheers, so I was amused when the first cheer went to the line: "We will restore science to its rightful place." Right on! (And what a slap....)

Lenox presented Obama and Biden with bowls. Bush got a hurricane lamp. Snicker. Chuckle. Snort. I wonder if that was on purpose.

I do love me some marching bands. Especially drum and bugle corps. Especially precision marching. Especially drumlines. Especially national champion drumlines. So when the Florida A & M corps paused in front of the reviewing stand, with the drums right in front of the new President, I bounced in my seat, "Yes! Yes! A salute!", but they just stood there a moment and then moved on. I was very disappointed.

Oh well. The national competitions are in a few days. Maybe I'll be able to see them on PBS or something.

There was one small incident that almost spoiled the day. After the ceremony but before the parade I went to the deli to get a sandwich. There were the three counter people, the owner in his office, a female customer paying for her stuff, and me. Then the customer said something about Obama.

It was kind of funny. There was an audible gasp, the three counter people turned and looked at me with big eyes, and the owner started out of his office. It was fairly obvious they expected a reaction from me. I hadn't heard what she said, but she kept talking, so I listened.

And yeah, I reacted. But I'm old enough and wise enough to know when someone is too stupid and too closed-minded to bother arguing with, so I dropped a fact or two, the others' heads whipping back and forth between us, I shrugged, and said "Well, we all apply labels that make us feel comfortable", and she scurried out before I could apply a label of my own.

Now, what's most interesting to me was the counter folks' suddenly getting so very worried about my reaction. I don't know why. Yeah, I'm dating The Man, but I don't think they know about him, unless the village is a LOT smaller than I thought it was (he and I had lunch in the tavern once many months ago). They know nothing about my politics, and I've never so much as snapped at anyone in there, so I don't have a reputation for temper.

Interesting. 'Tis a puzzlement.
.

1 comment:

~~Silk said...

Oops. Went and checked the DCA and DCI competition schedules, and their seasons don't start until June. Since FAMU is a university, it's probably a different organization, anyway, with a different schedule. On NPR's All Things Considered someone did say that FAMU had to rush off to a competition in a few days, so I don't know what that was about. Can't find any kind of schedule for them.