Tuesday, December 09, 2008

2151 Bits from TV

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Guy on Proactiv commercial: "... I put it on at night...and when I wake up in the morning you don't have acne."

Wow! That stuff really works! He woke up this morning, and sure enough, I didn't have acne!

---------------------

I've mentioned before how there are so many towns around here that aren't pronounced the way they're spelled, like Valatie is not pronounced VAL-a-tee, it's va-LAY-sha. There's a jewelry store upriver named Castiglione Jewelers. I used to date a guy from Naples, and according to his rules for pronouncing Italian, that should be cast-TIG-leo-nee. It sure looks like an Italian name. They pronounce it CAST-a-line. I don't get it.

Yeah, it's your name and you can pronounce it any way you want, but it seems like a town or a store should stick to the phonetic so people can FIND it! Recognize the name when they see or hear it.

----------------------

I've enjoyed Boston Legal so much. I'm sorry it's all over. Last night, Alan and Denny decided to get married. (You have to know the show to fully appreciate that. Denny is in the early stages of Alzheimer's. Alan is like a son to him, but unlike a blood son, he cannot do a lot of things for Denny that might need doing. Yeah, there's wills and proxies and powers of attorney, but that won't allow you to sleep on a cot in a hospital room with him like spousehood would. Not to mention estate taxes. So for various legal and social reasons, they decide to marry. In Massachusetts they can, so why not?)

However, a gay rights group objects. Alan and Denny are both flaming heterosexuals, and the gay rights group objects because they are "making a mockery of the institution", and of course they end up in court:
"We love each other."
"But- you're both heterosexual!"
"Are you saying we can't get married because we don't intend to have sex?"
....................Interesting question.

(They ignored the fact that lack of sexual intent is grounds for annulment, so yeah, it does seem like sex is a requirement in marriage.)

Anyway, they did get married. Perfect whacko ending, in true Boston Legal tradition.
.

2 comments:

Willow said...

I actually know a couple who are a heterosexual woman and a gay man who got married last year. I don't think they have sex. But they are the bestest of friends and said they know they could trust the other person to take care of them in old age, etc. They bought a house together. I know she wants to have sex with him, but I don't know if its' a go, and I don't think they'd ever let on if they did have sex.

BUT, as we know, marriage thousands of years ago was a business arrangement between two families, whether the couple liked each other or not. So, why not to hetersexual men marry for "business and legal" reasons?

Becs said...

About weird place names / pronunciations - when I lived in Florida, I thought I'd seen 'em all. Wekiva Springs, for instance. It was pronounced Wuh-KYE-vuh but the real Indian (Seminole?) term was We-KEE-wah and meant "Spring."

I cringe when I hear people say "KISS-a-mee" for Kissimmee, because it's "Ki-SIM-ee".

Then I moved to Jersey where we have Ho-Ho-Kus, Metuchen, and Piscataway. Sheesh.