Saturday, November 08, 2008

2105 Ladies Only

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Males who found their way here should wander away now, or pass it over to their ladies.

[Later edit - On second thought, men should read the material at the links, here and most especially absolutely here. The Man seems to know this stuff by instinct, and you should too. Highly recommended.]

I'm sure this rates as TMI, but it's the surprising results of a little research I did today, out of curiosity, engendered by some experiences I've had over the past 18 months. I wish I had known some of this stuff decades ago.

Like most women, I wondered if I was "average", or "normal". Did I look right "down there"? Like most women, I'd never seen what other women looked like. There were photos and drawings in "your body" type books, but, uh, they never looked like me, so instead of helping, they made me wonder even more.

I had asked a few men along the years, and they all said yeah sure, you're just fine, but first off most of them had very little experience, one, two, or three other women, and second, I suspect that's considered a question of the "do these pants make me look fat" variety, which made me rather shy about anyone getting close enough to actually look at the fool thing.

I had asked some female doctors during the Pap test, and they always assured me I was perfectly normal. But then, they were the same ones that told me that the long curly black hair that I had to tweeze from around my nipples was normal, too. It felt too much like "there's nothing we can do with this mess anyway, so let's just pat her on the head and send her on her way, poor disfigured thing".

With the internet and Google, now we can check out lots of pictures, and read all kinds of things we'd never know how to find in a library.

And guess what? It turns out I'm not normal, in several ways, and mostly not the ways I thought.

My labia majora are unusually large and thick. I remember that when I was young, I always wore bathing suits with a straight modesty panel (which doesn't exist any more), or with a skirt, because when my tummy is flat, the mons is very obvious, prominent.

My labia minora are almost non-existent. There's a lot of tissue up around the clitoris, there's a lot of hood, perhaps even an excessive amount, but then they thin and disappear almost immediately. They don't reach even as far as the urethra. This is apparently very unusual. I've found nothing similar anywhere.

In all those other pictures or drawings, you could see the clitoris. Mine is invisible, so well buried that when it's asleep, it's difficult to locate, so I assumed I was unusually small there. It turns out it's the large thick labia majora and excess hood that hides it. In actual fact, according to the size ranges here, mine's not small at all. In fact, the head and shaft are more than twice the length and twice the width of the top numbers of the "average" ranges.

Whoa.

The article says that they get larger with age, but I haven't noticed that much change since I first discovered it, and I think their numbers include post-menopausal women anyway.

So yeah, I'm not "normal".

I found out something interesting that I didn't know before, but should have expected. I was aware that the clitoris contains the same corpus cavernosum arrangements as the penis, and recently discovered it's capable of quite impressive erection. And we all know that the male penis doesn't stop at the junction of the penis and belly - it keeps on going and can be felt for some distance behind the scrotum. But I never wondered how far the clitoral corpus cavernosum extended.

Both versions of the corpus cavernosum bifurcate near the far end. I don't know where the male version bifurcates or where the ends go, but the female version splits near the base, passes on either side of the urethra, and extends along the sides of the vaginal entrance. That's cool! And it explains that firmness and swelling I'd noticed in those areas down the sides when things get interesting.

This site (which is also linked from the earlier one) addresses female ejaculation, the what, why, and how, the female prostate and the G-Spot, better than any other explanation I've seen.

Explore. Then, "Ladies, start your engines!"
.

2 comments:

the queen said...

I don't want orgasms to feel any better. I would never leave the house. But even with all my recent squatting, I've never focused my eyes on that area when I'm aroused. I wonder if Gary could identify changes?

Becs said...

When I was 14, I had a copy of "Our Bodies, Our Selves". I remember being astounded at the idea of getting a mirror and looking Down There.

(Then again, "Our Bodies, Our Selves" recommended masturbating baby boys to calm them down...)

I didn't even think of going to look for other Down Theres until about six months ago and I have to say, I was astounded at the variety.