Friday, September 05, 2008

1993 Power Paradox

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Several things happened today that I don't understand.

On Thursday, I checked several weather sites to find out what today and tomorrow would look like. Daughter and Hercules were planning to go camping at Ricketts Glen this weekend, and they'd invited me to hike the falls trail with them on Sunday. TV weather and everyone else said it would pour today, everywhere, Ricketts Glen and here and NJ, thunderstorms, much nastiness. I warned the kids. Not only would there be rain, but even if Sunday was nice, after storms the falls trail would be both spectacular and unhikeable. Daughter wanted to go anyway, "if my underwear isn't already damp before I put it on, it's not camping", but Hercules pointed out "it's a hurricane!" So they didn't go.

We've had a few sprinkles.

I don't know whether I'm annoyed or pleased.

-----------------------------------------

We lost electricity at 11:20 this morning. I was on the laptop, and it went smoothly to battery, so I unplugged it in case the power came back up with a surge, finished what I was working on, and then put it to "sleep". I figured that if the power wasn't back up in a few hours, I'd shut it down.

The power returned within the hour. I plugged the laptop in and pushed the "mommy's back" button. I got a message about "resuming windows", a glimpse of a cursor, then a black screen. No whirring. No blinking. Nothing.

**After a while I held the power button down for a while - emergency off - gave it some time to think about its sins, then turned it on again. The screen turned a few shades of gray and pale blue, then went black. No whirring, no blinking, nothing. Repeat from ** twice more. Think about where I'd go for service. Wish I'd got that external hard drive working.

And then it came up as if nothing had happened. Firefox even resumed my previous sessions.

I don't understand.

--------------------------------------

When I was running the (groundwater-based) A/C, I had only a trickle of water from the faucets. I turned the A/C off about a month ago, but the water never recovered beyond a slightly thicker trickle. It was dribbling in the bathrooms, and worse in the kitchen end of the house, where the A/C is located, so I figured that the pipes were full of silt from it running constantly all summer at low pressure. I was afraid I'd have to get a plumber in and have the pipes blown.

When the electricity is off, there's no well pump, and no water at all.

When the electricity came back on, I turned on the faucet in the kitchen, and it burped, sputtered, and then exploded. I've got water! Full force!

It's full of silt, so I can't use it for anything beyond washing my hands, but damn, I've got water again!

Why? What happened? What did the power going off have to do with it?

I really don't understand at all.
.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Sounds like the solenoid for the pump actuator has been failing to oscilate the float switch and then the power failure cause it to reset to where it's working now.

(yeah, I made all that up) :)

~~Silk said...

Yeah, that's kind like what I was thinking, but I phrased it more like "the whatchmacallit musta got something-er-othered."

Or maybe the vertical pipe in the well was blocked with silt, and when the power went out, air got in the pipes, releasing the vacuum, and the silt plug dropped.

Becs said...

As far as the weather report, rained in torrents from noon to midnight in central Jersey.

Daughter is younger and braver. To me, camping is a motel with no room service.