Tuesday, September 02, 2008

1988 Bylaws again

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Yesterday I went to NJ to visit Daughter and Hercules. The drive down was in Labor Day shore traffic, and it took me almost five hours. Coming home late at night took 2.5 hours. I stopped at the all-night gas station in the village, where I saw Harriet, a woman I had worked with on the fire department rescue squad. We had two years of catching up to do, so I was a lot later getting home.

I had read in the newspaper that the fire department and rescue squad were desperate for volunteers. She says they might go under, and if the village has to contract for professional firefighters and EMS, our taxes will go through the roof. (I'm already paying over $500/month in local, county, and school taxes, and I get the senior and widow's discounts.)

I spent all day today making updates to the Mensa bylaws. Our proposed revision was reviewed by national, and they had some comments and suggestions. They keep changing the minimum requirements, and it's not easy to hit a moving target. In general, they had good things to say about what we'd sent.

The Republican convention is on TV, and I'm not really watching. I don't know who was speaking about a half hour ago, but I got the impression he was saying that the country is in terrible shape, and the person the Democrats propose to fix it is completely unqualified to do so.

Um, did he realize what he was saying? Did he really want to emphasize how bad things are? Does he think we can't figure out how they got that bad? I may need to look that speech up on YouTube or something. I must have missed something.
.

No comments: