Saturday, August 16, 2008

1958 Faire, Tarot, and other bits

Saturday, August 16, 2008

I went to the big Renaissance Faire in Tuxedo today. It's the first time I've gone in several years. It has changed.

I don't know if they're still doing the running play. In the past, it was all over the place, constantly, hard to miss. And there was music, and jousting, and duels, and all kinds of performances, everywhere, including Robin and his merrie band waylaying passersby in the woods. All the performers and shop keepers spoke "Olde English", with carefully cultivated accents and vocabulary.

Not so this year. There were at least three times the retail booths, and the only performances I happened to catch were bellydancers (two - I watched one dance and left embarrassed for her), and a story teller. The Olde English consisted of "M'Lady...", and that was about it. I bought a carving of a frog emerging from a polished knot of wood root, and a shredded pork sandwich, and a Tarot reading. I stayed four hours, and left.

I'm glad I went, because I'd be sad if I missed it again this year after so long, but now it will be easier to miss it next year.

I dressed for it this year - a long bias cut black dress with long laced-up sleeves with long wrist points that flutter, with a tight pewter and pale green brocade boned & laced bodice over it (a cheap one I bought on eBay - first time out in a bodice, I wanted to wear one I wouldn't mind splitting). Many of the shops and booths were selling bodices, and the shop owners all complimented mine. Nicer, men of a certain age lengthened their glances to a stare, with a smile at the end. Rather nice. Certainly appreciated. A wench needs a boost every so often.

--------------------------------

The Tarot reading: current and 12 month future.

She began by saying that this does not mean these things will happen, because I can influence the future by taking action. But if I take no action, this is the default.

Life: Health is good, life is comfortable, I'm mostly happy, etc etc. She used a lot of words and qualifiers, and when she was finished, I asked "Does that all net out to 'content'?" And she enthusiastically agreed. Not a perfect life, but a contented life. Yes. And it will be so.

Finances: She saw some problem there, that something will happen, a reversal, or expected money won't appear, ... she had difficulty defining it, so she jumped down to Work/Career", which seemed to be connected.

Work/Career: I will change jobs, with a reduction in salary, or I will retire and not get the benefits I expect, something like that, but it will not be devastating, just very irritating. She asked then what I do, and I said I was fully retired. She frowned, and said there will be some kind of financial disappointment, connected with work, actually with retirement, or leaving a job. Maybe I will start a job or business and then leave it? I said "Highly unlikely." She frowned. It bothered her. [Hmmm. I just remembered I got the annual Company retiree benefits signup package about two weeks ago. In prior years, if you didn't change anything, you didn't have to reply, and everything continued as per the prior year - so I haven't looked at the package yet. Maybe I'd better check it. I wouldn't put it past them to lull us into complacency, and then this year say that if you don't respond, you lose everything!]

House/Home: Major improvement will be made soon. Could be work on my current home, renovations or changes, or moving to another home. [I wonder if replacing A/C fits this?]

Communications: There's a blockage. There's someone close that I need to talk with, but the information isn't flowing. Possibly a child who isn't telling me something, or a relationship that needs discussion, and it isn't happening. There's an elephant in the living room that we're ignoring. [Yup. On both fronts.]

Social/Friends: "Don't get me wrong, you have a good heart, but..." she says my friends and acquaintances tend to see me as someone who stirs the pot, causes controversy.

Love: There are two men, one current, one future. The current man is leaving my sphere, actually, I am drifting away from his sphere. There is darkness surrounding him, he is dimming. There is another man on the horizon, who is cultured, artistic, creative, possibly involved with a band, that sort of thing, travels a lot for fun, he's a fun and exciting person whom I will enjoy enormously. Light surrounds him. I will become connected with him in October, no, (frown), not that soon, March. Yes, March. [I don't think I'm exactly pleased to hear this. March is the two-year anniversary with The Man.]

So, we'll see how it goes.

-------------------------------

I forgot to mention this two weeks ago, but I don't want to forget it altogether, it was so cool.

At the tournaments, people who are with the bowlers are supposed to be quiet, for two reasons - to lessen distraction, and to prevent coaching. Think golf. At a tournament, five strikes in a row is not unusual. People start to pay attention when it gets to six.

At the Pa. tournament, a guy bowling on the pair next to The Man's pair got six strikes in the first six frames, and the whispered word passed through the spectators. Then he got the seventh. Another strike in the eighth frame, and people started wandering over to watch. Ninth frame. He rolled a
.
.
... hard to say this
.
.
... it's awful
.
.
... gutter ball.
Thud rumble rumble rumble
.
.
.
Gasps from the 80 people behind him. Sheepish look from him.
He got up there to go for the spare, and GOT THE SPARE! As far as everyone was concerned, it was the ninth strike. Gotta admire his cool. The entire building broke into cheers.

He then went on to finish with three more strikes. If not for that gutter ball, it would have been a perfect game, but for everyone who watched him, it WAS a perfect game.
.

No comments: