Tuesday, August 12, 2008

1949 Affordable! Flood! Fail!

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I've always been interested in looking at houses. I often pick up those real estate sales booklets stacked at the grocery store entry. I've been shocked at the prices, everywhere. Even what I would call a hunting cabin, three rooms in the middle of nowhere, is priced at over $250,000. The housing market is supposed to be so bad, but it hasn't brought prices down by much, not in this area, anyhow.

Then I found "It's Lovely! I'll Take it!" (with cheeky comments on photos chosen for listings) where I can explore houses all over the US and Canada, and it looks like houses are way overpriced everywhere, not just here.

Today I found an exception - the Mohawk Valley area of upstate New York, the Palatine Bridge area, only about an hour from Albany and Saratoga. These listings show several large beautiful houses at shockingly reasonable prices. The interiors look like they've been inhabited by little old ladies with a penchant for doilies, but that's not a bad thing if you don't mind stripping wallpaper and repainting cabinets.

I wonder why that area has escaped the craziness.

----------------------------

Not a comment on the previous topic, I hope, but today's TV news was full of clips of the flooding north of here. It looks really bad, with creeks overflowing so violently that they're ripping 11' diameter culverts right out of the ground, and washing foundations out from under bridges and houses. It's not like the rising-water river-overflow type flood. This water created new river beds, moving fast, finding new paths for itself, ripping through towns and villages.

Down here, we've had a lot of lightning and thunder, but with the exception of yesterday, very little rain. Up there, they've had a lot.

I'm very glad I live high on a ridge, even if it does mean I need an electric-assist bicycle to get home from a ride.

-----------------------------

Sigh. I've got to stop this internet life. Found another time vortex - "Fail Blog". It's all those little things that just didn't come out the way we'd planned. Like the design for this straw:
fail owned pwned pictures
I don't think I'd want my kid sucking on it.
.

No comments: