Thursday, August 14, 2008

1951 More cars

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Still doing the preliminary car exploration. (The first set of cars is here.) Second set follows.

I mentioned to Piper today that I really wanted the Porsche, but it didn't look like I could get it, because the nearest dealerships are White Plains and Schenectady, and I don't want to make 3 hour round-trips for those warranty-preserving oil changes. (There used to be a dealership in Poughkeepsie, but it died about the same time IBM laid off 11,000+ local people). Maybe there's an authorized service station near here, but if not, that's a showstopper.

Piper was funny. He really wants me to get the Porsche now, and was so frustrated by my propinquity requirement that I think he was ready to advise me to move to White Plains.

An old sports car passed us while we were walking, and stopped at the stoplight, and I jumped up and down, "THAT's what I want! I want a one-a them!" Piper said it was a Triumph TR6, but I think it was a MG. This one (in green! Green green! MGs must be green!):

Unfortunately, you need to be a little more familiar with wrenches than I am to own a 55 year-old car. But damn, that's perfect!

So, back to practical, I found a few more cars.

Toyota Solara. It's a little too big. I want a two seater. But it looks nice:

Mercedes SLK. Right size, disappointing gas mileage, a bit too rounded ("eggy"), but with the right deal, I'd consider it:

Honda S2000. I find it a little prissy looking. Maybe because the windshield is so upright:

Chrysler Crossfire. This one looks like a definite contender. It's got exactly the right look. Mark for further research:
Saab. A nice healthy safe car with all the right words in the reviews, but too big. Those back seats. Tsk:

Volvo C70. Top ratings, but too big. Jay and his father always drove Volvos. Young Daughter misunderstood and called them "Waldo"s. I didn't correct her. Plus, I've always thought that strip across the grill looked like a bandaid. Ok, so I do have some prejudices:

Ford Shelby (dippy name). It's based on the Mustang. I like the rollbar, but that's about all. It makes me think "pickup truck":

Audi Quattro. I don't know. It looks a little boxy, but that could be the photo. I may need to see this one up close before I know which list to put it on:

So now I think I've found all the small convertibles available, excepting of course the overpriced "European playboy" racing models, and the not-sporty stuff like the PT Cruiser and VW. I'll cut it down to four or five, and start reading reviews, then cut it to three and start test driving. I may not buy until spring, why buy a convertible as winter is starting**, but I want to be ready.

(**Answer to that question: because showrooms will be anxious to get rid of convertibles when winter is starting. Remember - I don't pay retail....)
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too bad this one's only in CA right now...

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Don't know if you'd be interested in 100% electric, but this is one sweet ride!