Saturday, July 12, 2008

1904 Saturday

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Last night was nice. Perfect weather, perfect companion, enjoyable performance.

Maybe we don't see each other enough. We always walk hand-in-hand, this after 16 months of dating. We held hands during the play - doubly. He held my left in his left on his lap, and my right in his right on my lap. It feels like we're too old for that kind of thing, yet I can't imagine it otherwise.

------------------------------

I overheard a conversation in the bank. It's actually a credit union, and membership has its benefits, like signature loans. I have a standing arrangement whereby I can write a check up to several thousand over my balance anytime it's necessary, and it's covered by a loan.

A man who looked about late 20s or early 30s walked in and asked for a signature loan, very important that he have the money immediately. The rep asked if he was a member, and he said no. She said he'd have to be a member to be eligible for a loan with no security. He asked how to be a member. She said, "You open an account."

He produced a third party check for $100, which he said he would deposit to open an account. He then went on to say that he'd keep the account until he got the loan, and then he'd close the account and leave the $100 there. "You can keep it." It was important that he get the money today.

Ok, I can believe a youngish guy not knowing how banks work, but he was accompanied by an older woman, who, from the way she spoke to him I believe was probably his mother. She was carrying an infant. I can't believe she thought this ploy would work.

I finished my business and left with my head reeling before the end of the conversation.
.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Can I borrow $5k ? I promise to pay it back after the Honorable Amir Shaklar, Duke of Infernal Affairs, sends me my cut of his over invoiced funds.

Becs said...

Re: the hand-holding. Very sweet and comforting just to think about it. Lucky you! Lucky him!