Tuesday, July 08, 2008

1900 Zapping Ivy

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I bought Roundup today and zapped all the poison ivy I could find. And then I found more. I've got the small-leaved low-growing variety, and the medium-leaved bush variety, and the huge-leaved tree-climbing variety.

Back when the Hairless Hunk cleared all the vines off the trees in the side yard (Virginia Creeper, wild grape, and poison ivy), he just cut them at ground level. I told him then that I wanted the roots killed, so he should either spray them before cutting or cut and then paint the fresh cuts with turpentine or kerosene, because if you don't kill the roots, they'll come back even stronger. A young plant with a huge root system can grow very fast.

He didn't do either.

Sigh.

060630PoisonIvy02
The small rather attractive "tree" in front of the tall tree is actually poison ivy growing up the tall tree, back before it got cut down. The bottom of the poison ivy leaves is about 7 feet above the ground. It's now growing back, and the individual leaves are about 10" long. It's laughing at me and my puny spray bottle of Roundup.
.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Do you think that poison ivy has a saying about humans, like we do about it? (leaves of three, leave it be)

"If on two legs, it stands up,
watch out for Round Up!"