Saturday, June 28, 2008

1881 Rochester, Memorial, Corning

Saturday, June 28, 2008

I drove to Rochester yesterday afternoon, checked into a hotel, spent some time in the whirlpool, watched a DVD movie, ate takeout ribs.

Today was Jay's father's memorial service, with a reception in the church hall afterwards. Daughter and Hercules also came. (It's like an 8-hour drive for them.) The church (Presbyterian) is huge and fancy, but not air conditioned. A lot of people attended the service, but the reception was sparsely attended. The oldest daughter expressed disappointment. I pointed out that at 91, he'd outlived all his friends, but I think the sweat pouring down my face might have had something to do with it, too.

The family was going out for dinner afterward. I didn't want to go with them. There's one person who seems to intensely dislike me, and when he's around his wife and daughters are also rather cold to me (they're merely politely cool when he's not around), and I see no reason to subject myself to that. Jay didn't like this guy, his brother-in-law, for several reasons. I was willing to give him a chance, but then I learned about him for myself, and Jay was right.

The guy is a snake. I can usually find something to respect about anyone, but this guy? No. He's a me me me person, the kind who will do exactly what he wants without considering the effect his actions might have on others. (He has a very different view of himself. Sorta like people who lie and cheat all week, but think they're good because they go to church every Sunday and contribute to the building fund.) We were all there to celebrate Dad's life. From some things he has said, I know without a doubt that this guy was there to celebrate Dad's death. He's tickled pink at getting rid of an annoyance.

Aaaaagh! I'm angry. Almost everyone who spoke at the service mentioned Dad's little dog, who went with him everywhere. A mini-Schnauzer. He loved that little beasty, and was worried about what would happen to her when he couldn't care for her. The snake promised Dad that she would have a home with his family.

She has been sent to a Schnauzer rescue group. So much for deathbed promises. Pissed me off royally.

Ah, well.

The mountain falls where Jay's ashes are is three hours south of Rochester, so I've decided to visit Jay tomorrow. I'm currently in a hotel in Corning, halfway between Rochester and the mountain.

I've got a lot to ask him.
.

1 comment:

Chris said...

What a >>>>>>>>>>>> that guy is. I can't wait to hear what karma has in store for him!