Monday, June 23, 2008

1873 No Thanks

Monday, June 23, 2008

A long time ago I suggested to the local Mensa group that a "New Member's Handbook", similar to the one published by the Washington group, would be nice. They've finally decided to do it, and I've been asked to be on the committee. I'm flattered, and would like to, but right now it just doesn't fit. I sent this note to the board member who'd emailed me about it:

Thank you for thinking of me, but I don't think this is something I can get involved in right now. I'm a bit overwhelmed with some other stuff going on in my life. Procrastination has become disease, and now it's critical. On the other hand, I'd be pleased if you could consider me a primary reviewer of drafts.

Incidentally, I received an email yesterday requesting comments from ombudsmen on a motion to be put before the AMC [Edit - American Mensa Committee, the national governing board] at the meeting on July 3, concerning the duties of local ombudsmen [Edit - I am the local ombudsman] and the composition of hearings committees. I haven't been able to read the proposition in any depth yet because, naturally, this being Mensa, there has been an onrush of accusations, questioning of motives, slapping of hands and excessive wordiness, copying everyone, to the tune of about 30 emails since 2 pm yesterday. I have to read all of the freakin' things, because there are some real comments and concerns among the streams of territorial hydrant-anointing.

Bleck.


Sigh....
.

No comments: