Monday, June 23, 2008

1874 Favorite Animal

Monday, June 23, 2008

There's this thingy (don't know what to call it) where you name your three favorite animals in order, domestic or wild, and then list three adjectives to describe each.

I had a very hard time with that. I'm not sure what my favorite animals are! It kind of depends what I'd want to do with it. Deer, foxes, whales, rabbits, dogs, cats, mice, woods turtles, sea turtles, toads, harvestmen, butterflies, cows, musk oxen, elephants, probably more ... they all kind of tie for first, depending on where I am and what I feel like at the moment.

So I picked the three I've had most contact with: dog, cat, mouse. I wanted to pick people, but that wasn't allowed, and after reflection I decided people were further down the list than most of the above anyway.

Next I had to put them in order, and list adjectives. Umph.
1) dog
attentive/appreciative
adoring
protective
2) cat
comfort seeking
affectionate
independent
3) mouse
wonderful parent
energetically industrious
intelligent

Now the common interpretation.
1) is how you see yourself
2) is how others see you
3) is how you really are

Thud. Nope. Wrong on several counts.

I think it should be interpreted thusly:
1) what you want in a mate
2) how you see yourself
3) what you admire in others

Now THAT fits!
And I think it makes more sense because the top animal would have the characteristics you most admire and want near you, the second would have characteristics you personally value and are not too rarified to aspire to, and the third, well, it's third.

That's how it worked out for me.
.

1 comment:

Chris said...

That list of favorite animals looks more like a food chain:)