Tuesday, June 17, 2008

1861 Pen Pals

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Pen Pals picnic was today. I got to meet the fourth-grade girl I've been corresponding with as part of their composition class this school year. The past several years, the picnic was at a town or county park on the river. They brought grills and cooked hot dogs, and we played games and went on hikes through the woods with a naturalist from a local college. We saw turtles and snakes and frogs, and learned to identify trees and flowers. The kids were all great. I really enjoy them.

I got the notice for the picnic about 10 days ago, and my heart fell. Instead of a park, we were going to the Maritime Museum - the museum where I had been volunteering and getting more and more unhappy because they were putting more and more responsibility on me, and it was taking more and more of my time, until one day late last summer I rather abruptly quit. Yeah, that place. I haven't been back there since, and didn't want to go. The volunteer coordinator has called a time or two to ask me to work at functions, and was glad I couldn't because I had other commitments. I wasn't looking forward to appearing on their doorstep today.

And, we were to bring our own lunch.

They had tables and tents set up on the grounds for us. The only planned activity was a tour of the museum. We arrived at 9 am, and nothing happened. By 10:30 the kids were bored out of their gourds and breaking into their lunches. They finally took half the kids through the museum while the rest of us sat and twiddled our thumbs, then our half, which got cut short when ice cream arrived. There were no games, so I didn't get to interact with any of the kids except the ones immediately near me at our table.

One of the teachers said that next year they'll probably have the picnic on the school grounds. That'll suit me fine. I'd rather have a park, but school will do if the kids get to play. (Well, ok, if WE get to play. I like playing with the kids.)

This evening I met The Man in Newburgh for dinner, drinks, and music. I really am strongly attracted to him, and it's funny how every time I see him it's like I discover it all over again.
.

No comments: