Sunday, June 15, 2008

1857 Mom and Baby Sister

Sunday, June 15, 2008

I was poking through a drawer and found this photo. It's my mother and my baby sister, in approximately 1988.


In this photo, Mom is one year older than I am now, and she died in my arms two years later, of congestive heart failure. Baby Sister (the sweetest person I've ever known) drank herself into a fatal coma seven years after this photo, and wasn't found for three days because her husband was too drunk to realize she wasn't just sleeping.

I'm still having trouble with it, which is, I guess, why the photo was in the bottom of a drawer. I can handle them individually, but together like this it's harder.

My daughter looks a lot like my mother. I see it especially in this picture.
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

And you look very much like your mom.

I'm sorry they died young, that your sister's life was so tragic.

But I think you've learned by now that history doesn't repeat itself.

I know it's hard, but try to look at the photo without that nasty stuff attached to it. Those are two very lovely women.