Monday, June 16, 2008

1860 The Internet and Cognition

Monday, June 16, 2008

If you're interested in how the internet has affected how and what we read and how we think, you should read http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/google.

If you take one look at it and decide it's too long, or if you skim the first few paragraphs and think, "Ok, got it", then you REALLY need to read the whole thing.

What it says is true for me. I have noticed it. Yeah, I can read whole novels online, but the point is, I mostly don't. Even when I'm looking things up because I want to know about them, I find that whereas not so long ago I wanted to learn about things in depth, now I get a few keywords and key ideas, and move on. The curiosity and ... attention span? even perhaps desire ... aren't there.

---------------------------

The owner of the Harley came today with a friend and a van, and loaded up the bike. Again we chatted a bit. He's smart. He's apparently somehow associated with Columbia. After the bike was loaded I said something about hoping I didn't see him like this again, and he said "Oh, you'll see me again, just not under these circumstances", reached out to shake hands, and bent down and kissed my cheek.

Sigh. He sure was good-lookin'. Classically handsome.

I wish I knew what he meant.

----------------------------

It was a beautiful day today, right up until 4 pm when the thunderstorms moved in. Both cats get jumpy when there's thunder, so I've got cat glued to my ankles. They still don't get along, have to be at least two feet apart, and since my ankles aren't that far apart there's a constant spitting snarling battle. (Miss Thunderfoot snarls and spits. Jasper just reaches out to her and pats at her. I think he's trying to play, and Miss Thunderfoot is having none of it.) Anyway, it makes it a bit difficult to walk.

----------------------------

It took a year, but I think Roman and his affection is moving on. We were both at the dinner last Tuesday, for the first time in months. He hesitated before deciding to sit next to me. During dinner, at one point I snarled at him when he started to put down a program I recommended to another, a program he has not tried, and I'm really tired of his doing that and I guess it showed. When dinner ended, he didn't walk me to my car and say goodbye.

I'm sad to see him go, but I wish him well.
.

No comments: