Friday, April 04, 2008

1753 MIL

Friday, April 4, 2008

Another blogger is rapidly being driven mad by a future mother-in-law. Reminded me of some past in-law problems.

For the entire year before Ex#2 and I got married, his mother went to mass every evening. Every evening. Every.

Then Ex#2 and I got married, and she stopped going except for occasional Sundays. I remarked to Ex#2 that I had thought she was very religious, what happened?

He told me that she had been going to church to pray that he wouldn't marry me.

Ouch.

She drove me crazy in the usual ways, small comments, demanding attendance every holiday (um, my family? Yoo hoo?), saving up work to kill me with every time we visited, blaming me if anyone caught cold after a visit or if anything had gone missing (the youngest son saw the opportunity, and used to lift stuff while we were visiting, because he knew I'd get the blame), the usual nutso stuff. This is the woman who, when a grandchild was diagnosed with TB, called and screamed at me for giving it to the kid, and demanded that I get tested. When my test was negative, they tested the rest of the family, and it turned out it was HER! (Gloat gloat.)

There was one way she hurt my feelings badly. She was a regional manager for a home-sales group that gave very expensive Swiss-made watches as sales bonuses. Every year, she got one or two, and gave them away. First one she kept. Next to her daughter. Next to her middle son's wife. Then her youngest son's girlfriend. Then her best friend A. Then her best friend B. Then her cleaning lady. Then a high school-age friend of her daughter. Then virtual strangers, one after the other. I never got one. I got the message.

She was not an idiot. She was not meddlesome. She was just plain nasty mean.
.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that is the one thing that im very excited that i didnt have to deal with after TIm left me- His mother was horrible to me, and his step dad refered to me as that girl for the entire four years we dated. i will never date another man that i dont get along with his family. its not worth it. it really is not.