Tuesday, April 01, 2008

1749 Another Toy

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

HL Mencken: "Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence."

Anon: “Immature love is wanting the other person to be happy with you. Mature love is wanting the other person to be happy. Period.”


-----------------------------

Today it got into the high 60s, and then this evening we had thunder, lightning, wind, heavy rain, and something that was hitting the windows hard enough to worry me. Sleet? Hail? Frozen robins?

-----------------------------

My replacement GSP device arrived today. I've fiddled with it a little, but won't actually try it out in the car until tomorrow.

There's a suction mount for the windshield, a USB cord for connecting to the laptop, and a cigarette lighter cord for charging in the car.

It came preloaded with maps for the entire US. You can ask for the location of restaurants, hotels, tourist attractions, gas stations, ATMs. It will warn you if you're in a school zone, or in sight of a safety camera. You can load it with MP3 files or audible books to play while you're driving. It will display JPEGs. It has a currency converter. There's other stuff you can pay for subscriptions to use - none of which I see any need for. Actually, I don't need half the free functions it's got.

I went to the Garmin website to see what accessories there are, and discovered that if I had bought it at the local Staples, it would have cost $599. I paid $299. Not bad.

I did test it. I asked for the location of the new Marriott in Kingston. That hotel has been open just short of a year. It wasn't in the list, so I guess I have to find out how up-to-date, or how complete, the lists are, whether the lists are loaded and have to be updated, or pulled from the satellite, and businesses have to subscribe.

The only documention is a "quick guide". You have to download the full manual from the website if you want it. All I can tell right now is that it wants street addresses or intersections. It says it can be used walking, but I don't know if it can understand latitude/longitude, so I don't know if it can be used hiking. Probably not. That's a separate type of map.

Well, another new toy.
.

2 comments:

Ally said...

i really enjoy my Garmin. i don't use it a lot, but the few times i have it has given me good directions. although, it will send you into bumper to bumper traffic during rush hour. however, it's great for the unfamiliar places which is the most important. happy traveling with the new toy!

Chris said...

Yeah, but can it find my $)_#_@#$% keys? :)