Sunday, March 30, 2008

1746 Sibling Rivalry, Stage 2

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Interviewee I-missed-the-name, in the Kingston Freeman a few years ago: "If prayer is out of the public schools, it is simply because those in attendance have chosen not to pray. Individual freedom to pray is still intact. What is rightfully missing is the authority to force prayer on those who do not wish to participate."

----------------------------
Whenever I follow a car at 40 mph all the way down a 55 mph zone, I can't help but wonder what he's hiding in his trunk.
----------------------------
There's something I've seen over and over in real life, and read here and there in the blogosphere, that seems so unfair.

Many of my peers are dealing with failing elderly parents, or have done so in the recent past. Usually one of the siblings takes on the major burden of caring for them, supporting them financially, arranging for their care, whatever is needed, and usually it's the most successful of the siblings, usually the elder. Or the one who is single, or whose children are grown. The other siblings beg off because they don't have as much time or freedom or money. The one with the time, freedom, and money, takes on the major burden, and they do it without complaint, because they recognize their ability to do so, compared to the siblings.

Then comes the settling of the estate, and the part that really bugs me. You can probably see it coming.

Even if the estate, however large or small, is divided equally among the siblings, the ones who begged off on caring for the parents strongly begrudge the caregiving sibling his or her share, since obviously he or she "doesn't need it as much as we do".

It's as if the other siblings spent so much time and energy over the final years convincing themselves and others that they were too poor and too overburdened to contribute to the care of their parents, that they have to continue that line. Otherwise they might have to feel guilt, so they turn on the contributing sibling.

I've seen brothers and sisters stop speaking over it. I have a friend who has gone into major debt to care for his parents. His widowed mother has now said she plans to leave him the house to cover the debt, and the other siblings are already having fits.

I don't understand people. Not at all.
.

2 comments:

Becs said...

This is one reason among many that I am relieved my parents are no longer living and that I have no siblings. Sometimes "I'm all alone in the world" turns into "Thank God I don't have to deal with that."

the queen said...

So that means there's a chance my brother will stop speaking to me? (Huge sigh of relief.)